Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Saunders/LPL 4550XL

Re: Saunders/LPL 4550XL

Buying enlarger bulbs from camera stores, is the most pricey way to go about it. I can't speak for the Beseler bulb, but I do have a 45S dichrioc head & I have bought bulbs from Bulbs direct using the ISO three letter designation. I would say those bulbs branded Wiko last every bit if not longer than twenty dollar bulbs coming from the bulb distributer then sold to the enlarger manufacturer then sold to the reseller.

Your camera shop is a reseller, not a distributer and not a wholesaler. Top bulb, Bulbs direct and Bulbman are all also resellers, the original bulb supplier like "Wiko" probably sells them for a couple of dollars or less. An enlarger bulb in theory & my opinion, should not cost a great deal more than what one similar style "reflector" halogen costs in Lowes or Home Depot!

Quote Originally Posted by Trigeek View Post
    I have a question regarding the replacement bulbs for this enlarger. It requires an 82V 250W bulb and B&H has the same bulb made by different manufacturers ranging from $5.99 for the "Impact" brand to $89 for the Beseler. The Beseler stating it has a "Dichroic Reflector". KHB has the LPL brand direct replacement for $28. Are there really any differences between these bulbs that I should be aware of? Yeah... I know... the price ) All are rated at about 50 hours.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Thanks Greg. All of the specs seemed to line up. Appreciate the confirmation.

Good thread...

I just bought a mint used LPL 4550XLG / VCCE with a 6x7 and a anti-newton 4x5 carrier with two 39mm lens cones, ordered two more plus a 50mm one from KHB so I think I am set. I hope it is close to in spec in terms of alignments but if not, I can get it there and will enjoy the fact that it will most likely stay there.

As for light leaks, been there-done that with the 45MX so I won't be shocked when I need to address it with the LPL, have blackout cloth, gaffer's tape and other stuff to dial it in...

Here is a link to a photo of John Sexton teaching a workshop, note the blacked out negative stages on all the 4550XLG's to the left:

http://rafal.net/2012/02/the-express...lastair-firki/

I doubt you will have significant leaks. Make sure the heat sink cover over the bulb is on correctly if you do. I noticed mine was leaking last week and after a little head scratching, I realized I didn't get it seated perfectly.

If anyone is looking for bulbs, I saw this the other day-

http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lampevw.html

Those are some good prices. Don't have any experience with them yet though.

I ordered some bulbs from them. No complaints at all. I ordered one each of the Osram, GE and the Philips. Probably a bad batch, but the Osram bulb was badly misaligned in the reflector, the GE and Philips were perfect.

I recently pickup a used Saunders LPL 4550 XLG enlarger, nice clean one. Have a question, do they still make a 6x7 mixing chamber for this model ? Called up Calumat and they did not know and KHB list it as discontinued.

Mike

Michael, I have only seen one for sale in quite a long time. The 35mm box is well worth getting due to the condenser it has but the medium format box probably won't reduce your exposures by much. I decided it wasn't worth buying it the last time I saw one. It is annoying to switch them out anyway so unless you are only going to print med. format, just skip it.

Thanks Patrick, I imagine they would be expensive new , but don't think they make them any more. I can make do without it, just have to stand around a little more.

Mike

Dave Karp

Michael,

I used the 4x5 mixing chamber for MF on a 4500II, which uses a lower wattage bulb, so you should have no problem. I agree that the 35mm chamber is worthwhile if you enlarge 35mm negatives.

Thats good to know David, with a 250 watt blub I would think you are right and I will give it a go.

Mike