Thread: Another use for a digital camera

Another use for a digital camera

I mostly use color negative film, but even with slides, it is sometimes difficult to get a desired color just right. I realized I could use my digital camera profitably to help. I take along a gray card, put it somewhere in the scene, and snap some digital photos. That way, by examining the images in my photoeditor, I can determine what the RGB values should be relative to the gray card of important parts of the scene. I can then apply this in setting the color balance in my scanned 4 x 5 images, without any gray card present. Usually, there are enough neutral elements of a scene that I don't need to bother with this, but in tricky situations, it can be helpful.

I think this may only work if your camera has been profiled. You might find it easier to shoot 2 shots on film, one with a grey card, the other without. Presuming that the film is processed at the same time, then all the 'variables' should be the same.

Leave the digital camera at home, shoot two pieces of film, one with a GretagMacbeth ColorChecker chart in the shot. Do your scans however you'd like. Then use the inCamera Photoshop plugin by Pictographic to nail the color ... it will create a profile for that shot by matching the ColorChecker chart exactly. Apply that profile to your good shot and you've got it. You may of course adjust the color from there to suit your taste. Also a great way to profile your digital camera if you happen to bring it along.

I use the same system to profile my large format shots using a Better Light scanning back.

Another good use for a digital camera is... a paper weight... LOL

... not to mention, Ebay pics...

Unless your image is meant for some scientific purpose, I don't see the need to match it exactly to the scene. As long as your monitor is profiled and you have a good understanding of the basic Photoshop tools (levels, curves) you should be able to visually adjust it to your liking.
    As for uses for a digital camera - the ones that provide histograms are actually very useful exposure and field proofing tools. Read my article on the subject here:
    http://www.scenicwild.com/sw/article...nd_digital.pdf

Guy
    Scenic Wild Photography