Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aero Ektar 24" f/6

Aero Ektar 24" f/6

I'm not sure of the exact size of the image circle of the 24" f/6 Aero Ektar. One source on the web gives 576 mm and a 50 degree angle. Can somebody confirm this ? I would like to use such a lens to shoot portrait on a 11x14 camera.

loujon

Re: Aero Ektar 24" f/6

Quote Originally Posted by fsibold View Post
    I'm not sure of the exact size of the image circle of the 24" f/6 Aero Ektar. One source on the web gives 576 mm and a 50 degree angle. Can somebody confirm this ? I would like to use such a lens to shoot portrait on a 11x14 camera.
    At Portrait distance a 12" lens can easily cover 11x14.It would look like shit but it will cover.

While I don't own a 24"Aero Ektar I would think it should cover 11x14 at portrait distance just fine and is a great FL for 11x14 You'll have way more IC then you could ever want or need for a portrait.

Please be sure to post images if you get your setup running well. I hope you realize that lens is going to be monstrous.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Please be sure to post images if you get your setup running well. I hope you realize that lens is going to be monstrous.
    ...and approaching impossible to do a sharp portrait of a person. Make yourself a posing stand; you'll need it. At 6 feet wide open you'll have 15mm of total depth of field. Yes, that's millimeters and not centimeters.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    ...and approaching impossible to do a sharp portrait of a person.
    I beg to differ. This was shot with a 24" f/6 B&L Aero Tessar (virtually the same lens). The negative is not tack sharp, but sharp enough for portraits. Since I've only ever used it for 8x10 I can't speak to the image circle, but conventional wisdom suggests that Tessars have image circles equivalent to their focal lengths, so a 24" image circle for this lens is probably in the ball park, especially at portrait distances.

Century 10A 8x10, 24" f/6 B&L Aero Tessar (wide open), T-Max 400

Jonathan

With a 750 mm f:6,3 mounted on tripod alone
    then connected with camera covering with black tissue, even though there where unexpected light rays entering in the image !!!
    long work to focus... but, can give interesting results, I guess

I have few portraits done with a Aero Ektar 12" f:2,5
    It was really difficult to keep subject inside focus plane
    But was not impossible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wonder-750.jpg   AE-Ilo.jpg  

Aero Ektar 24" f/6

Beautiful!!

Aero Ektar 24" f/6

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word impossible, even thoughI said "approaching impossible." Those are very successful examples, especially yours Jonathan. Keep in mind, though, that on 11x14 he'll need to be half again closer in for that same frame. Difficult but no, not impossible.
    -Chris

Thank you all for your answers and pictures. The camera is not yet build and the Aero Ektar is in the mail. I only have the 11x14 film holder, so it will take a while before I post a picture. I made a google search : there are some 8x10 pictures somebody took with a 24" aero ektar wide open on Flickr !

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word impossible, even thoughI said "approaching impossible." Those are very successful examples, especially yours Jonathan. Keep in mind, though, that on 11x14 he'll need to be half again closer in for that same frame. Difficult but no, not impossible.
    Chris: I didn't mean to come across as overly contrary. Sorry if I did. You're right, of course, that these lenses are big and heavy and difficult to work with. The photo above was taken at a friend's photo studio that has plenty of space for backing the camera up from the subject. There is no way I could have taken this shot at home in my living room as I do most others. Not only that, but it was taken at near full bellows extension on the Century which is around 35 inches, I think. To get a head and shoulders shot (on 8x10 alone) would take over 40+ inches of bellows draw!

Jonathan