Thread: How many sheets in a box?

Hopelessly Lost

How many sheets in a box?

Just wondering but how many sheets of 4x5 do you think you can safely fit in a '50 sheet' box? Im talking about downloading holders into a box and not having the individual bags in there - just the film. 75? 100? Heading over to Morocco with 320 sheets and they are all in 10 sheet boxes so, will be throwing those away and just using some of the larger boxes so as to cut down on bulk for the return trip.

Lemme know...
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Re: How many sheets in a box?

Huh???
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

In my experience, the 50 sheet box contains two 25 sheet envelopes. The paper for the envelopes is trivial, but there are two cardboard sheets in each envelope. If the cardboard is about 3 negatives thick, that would say about 62 sheets, i.e. not a huge number more than the 50 sheet box is designed to hold. Perhaps if someone has actually tried what you want to do, they will have a better answer.

Hollis,

I think I topped out at about 75 or 80 in one 50 sheet box. I would not try to go beyond that. With the box that full, it feel it was actually safer than with only fifty in terms of helping to prevent any sort of crush factor in transit. That actually happened to me recently with about 40 sheets in a 50 sheet box which apparently got squashed in some kind of sorting machine. Fortunately, only one corner crushed and I only got minor fogging along one edge that could be cropped out, but if that box had really been full, it probably would not have happened at all.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Hopelessly Lost

Good to know, thanks for the input guys. Im going to be hand carrying the boxes of film back with me to the states in my carry on bags so, not worried about sending through the mail. Also, they are getting gaff taped shut (every corner, angle, edge, etc. - no light) so, not worried about the boxes bulging or coming undone.

This is what I am dealing with...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	film_small.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	87600
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

I've been there, Hollis!

I re-pack my Kodak 10-sheet boxes because I routinely travel with around 300 sheets, and that's a lot of boxes. I get rid of the foil envelopes and instead use the black plastic bags they sell at freestyle photo, and even with the bags I can fit 50 sheets into a Kodak 10-sheet box. I use one plastic bag per box, the bag itself can hold around 50-55 sheets easily.

On the way home I do the same, and again, I've had no problem fitting 50 sheets (sometimes even up to 55) in a box made for ten sheets. They fit snugly so there's no moving around, and as lenser said, there is little chance of crush damage.

BTW, I also shoot 2-4 sheets on each photo when I'm overseas, and I unload my holders into two boxes at once (so the A-sides of all holders go into one box and the B-sides into another). This gives me some redundancy should a box get lost, damaged, opened by security or lost on the way to the lab.

Have a nice trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post
    BTW, I also shoot 2-4 sheets on each photo when I'm overseas, and I unload my holders into two boxes at once (so the A-sides of all holders go into one box and the B-sides into another). This gives me some redundancy should a box get lost, damaged, opened by security or lost on the way to the lab.
    What a great idea

Had wondered about how to solve the problem of having all your shots from a single day in one box but came up with a blank - this is the obvious answer

I always tape my full boxes of exposed film shut - just in case they get inadvertently dropped and decide to come open

Martin

"BTW, I also shoot 2-4 sheets on each photo when I'm overseas, and I unload my holders into two boxes at once (so the A-sides of all holders go into one box and the B-sides into another). This gives me some redundancy should a box get lost, damaged, opened by security or lost on the way to the lab."

Gotta love this forum! I have never thought of that and it is such a simple, straightforward solution. Thank you, Noah.

Just wondering how you ended up packing the film? And how did you fit all that fuji-roid in your carry on?