Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entry into 8x10 format

Entry into 8x10 format

Hi,

I have a Chamonix 045n-2 and a Sinar P camera, both 4x5. What is the least expensive option to get into 8x10 film? What camera or what addition to the cameras I have?

Thanks!

David
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Re: Entry into 8x10 format

I have a Sinar P2 8x10 rear standard and normal bellows that I may part with. I have 4-5 holders and film as well. Although It will be cheaper if you look for an old wooden 8x10.

How about a Kodak D2? These can be found for just a few hundred dollars. They're capable of reasonable (but not extravagant) amounts of all movements except shift.

If u can't afford to, don't go there.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the Sinar...though that beast is heavy enough as a 4x5...
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Entry into 8x10 format

Just get the 8x10 conversion for your sinar

And yes it's like cocaine.

Expensive
    through a glass darkly...

The Sinar has a special 8x10 rear standard which has more range of movements than the standard P rear carrier when using the 8x10 conversion kit, and so you'll want to see if the movement range with the standard carrier covers your needs. The Sinar P is an outstanding studio and near-the-car camera system.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

It has been my general experience that older 8x10 monorails sell for very little at auction; often for less than an older wooden folder. Of course, the market at any time can be unique so watch for inexpensive buys on both older wooden cameras such as the Kodak 2D or its contemporaries, or older monorail cameras such as the B&J 8x10 Grover. If you're patient you ought to be able to find something for $200-300 by spring. I agree with a previous poster's comments on wooden 8x10 film holders; in my experience (and I have about 30 of them,) they're very good buys at half the cost or less of more modern 8x10 Fidelity or Lisco plastic holders, lighter, and work just as well. The real expense with 8x10 is consumables: just remember that you'll shoot less film as a matter of course.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    ... The real expense with 8x10 is consumables...
    Mike
    And that's the important question. It doesn't matter how good a camera system is in theory if you can't afford to photograph with it. Hopefully David can!
    Last edited by Peter De Smidt; 16-Jan-2013 at 17:58.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Sinar 8x10 conversion may make the most sense in many ways. These appear for sale used often enough. If not a conversion set, consider a Sinar 8x10 F. Staying within the Sinar system makes sense if this is already in the photo tool kit.

Beyond converting the 4x5 to 8x10, most 4x5 optics do not cover 8x10. This adds more cost beyond the camera.

Then comes 8x10 film holders, film and post process cost. Adding up all these cost grows pretty fast. Figure 8x10 cost maybe 4x more than 4x5, but the wow factor.

Bernice