Thread: Arca F-Line(w/ 6x9 front-standard) & 1228 Gitzo?

Arca F-Line(w/ 6x9 front-standard) & 1228 Gitzo?

i'm curious as to whether anyone has used the combination of the arca-swiss f-line "compact" (or whatever it's called) and the gitzo 1228. i'm looking into buying the 1228 and i just want to know if i should be thinking about support issues; should i be looking for something that holds more weight? if i'm pointing the camera towards the ground will the tripod be unstable?

thanks, patrick.

William D. Lester

Patrick

I use a Linhof Technika with the Gitzo 1228 and a Manfrotto ball head. This is a very sturdy tripod combination. I bought it because of the light weight. I suspect that the Linhof is at least the weight of your Arca if not heavier.

I have the G1228 which is perfect with my 4x5's, folding and monorail, and adequate for my Toho 5x7 monorail, so I think it would be fine for the Arca Field, which I have handled.

Yes, it will be less stable with the camera pointed at the ground; you can increase the stability by using the setting that maximizes the leg spread. I don't shoot in that position, so I can't help you with that particular issue.

It is called the F-line "Field" model. I think there may also be a F-line "Compact" configuration with the regular 4x5 front standard but with a folding monorail... so if you're ordering the camera over the phone, make sure you order the right one ;-). I agree the 1228 should be fine.

I use a A/S F-line (the one with the bigger front standard) with a Gitzo 1126 and with my 135mm and 240mm/5.6 lens, I have no problem getting sharp photos.

I think it should be ok for you.

Patrick : the 1227 and 1228 Carbon Fibre Gitzos are rated for 8 kg (17.6 Lbs) on-axis. Your 4"x5" Arca Swiss monorail camera fitted with a reasonable lens plus a reasonable tripod head will probably not exceed 6 kg (13.2 Lbs). So in, a way, a conventional series 2 Aluminium Gitzo tripod rated at 6 kg could be somewhat limited ; but no problem with the series 2 carbon fibre tripods, you get an extra load of 2 kg allowed. There is a small hook under the tripod head where you can hang something but do not exceed the nominal loading capacity of the tripod !!
    As far as pointing the camera toward the ground is concerned, except if you intend to do some copying work with the optical axis vertical and the camera completely off-centre (be very careful, in this configuration), you should have no problem of un-balanced weight even with big telephoto lenses.
    You can always balance your camera as you wish by combining the front and rear independant function carriers ; moreover in the Arca Swiss design you can slide independently the connecting bracket which slides under the rail and does not interfere with the movements of the standards. So your camera will always be perfectly balanced except in a few extreme cases.

Got em both. The Arca Field and the 1228. It works well together. my only concerns are wind. It is a very stable platform, however there is the top-heavy issue. In windy conditions i bring an empty stuff sack, stuff it with rocks, and hang it on the hook beneath the center column. There is always a compromise with every set up. I do backpack with my set up, and if I would purchase the next higher beefier tripod, this would weigh more than my other aluminum Bogen. I like it. I don't think you will regret it.

Emmanuel Bigler is correct.

If I may add a little information nearly on the same subject: Arca-Swiss is a totally modular, interchangeable system which I believe lets you use any or all of the following formats: 6x9, 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. Last I looked, the models were:

F-classic : "F" for field. "Classic" for movements which are locked down by tightening a knob, as with most view cameras. Also combines two movement from a single, cleaverly designed "squeeze-and-release" control devise. Has a telescopic rail.

F-classic C : "C" stands for compact — has a folding rail.

F-metric : "metric" for self-locking micrometer controls.

F-metric C : as you can figure from the above

M-monolith : mainly intended as a studio camera, having a heavy-duty "monolithic" block at the base of the front and back frames, equipped with self-locking, super accurate micrometric controls.

Misura: This is an incredible little 4x5 which you'll think is a 6x9. Comes with it's own stitched-leather or olive-colored aluminum case which is is designed to be conveniently carried over the shoulder —it's no bigger than a fat bleach bottle. Once mounted on a tripod, the metal case, which is split down the middle, can be opened like a flower blossom. The two sides are hinged at the bottom and, once opened and hanging, they can hold sheet film holders, your loupe, cable release or whatever. The leather case is designed to slide up on it's strap to reveal the camera. The camera is typical Arca-Swiss: refined, smooth, sure. The small size belies it's strength (I actually pushed on a thin-looking part of one of the frames thinking it would give .. stupid me. You could probably stand on it without harm.) If a view camera could be a car, this is a Porsche. It's won design awards to prove it. On my hit list, for sure. And, no.. I don't work for Arca-Swiss! Just crazy about well-made stuff.

Hope this helps other "Arcamaniacs" keep the models straight. Good shooting!