Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adobe RGB or sRGB???

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Re: Adobe RGB or sRGB???

Wherever the device you're using to manipulate the image, most likely the monitor, is capable of. If you display can handle 97 or 98% of AdobeRGB, then you should be OK with that space. Otherwise you are safer using sRGB.

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    Wherever the device you're using to manipulate the image, most likely the monitor, is capable of. If you display can handle 97 or 98% of AdobeRGB, then you should be OK with that space. Otherwise you are safer using sRGB.
    How does one determine what percentage of AdobeRGB a monitor can display?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sandy,
    I use Apple's ColorSync Utility. The ghosted part is my monitor profile, the color part is sRGB.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comparison.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	87343
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

It's mostly based on area within a tricolor vector based graph. At least NEC uses that system. Check --> http://www.necdisplay.com/documents/...cBrochure1.pdf

Here's a shot of the screen. The yellow tringle represents the AdobeRGB. Actually the display goes beyond the AdobeRGB IN the "reds"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nec-1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	87344

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    The compromise being clipping wide color gamut images today to accommodate a low quality monitor or today's monitor technology. Then in a few years monitor technology improves (or you replace the low quality monitor) to a point where it could have displayed those out of gamut colors but you no longer have them available. Many people will have a hard time accepting that compromise. Especially considering what technology will allow in 5, 10, 20, 30 ... years.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    The compromise being clipping wide color gamut images today to accommodate a low quality monitor or today's monitor technology. Then in a few years monitor technology improves (or you replace the low quality monitor) to a point where it could have displayed those out of gamut colors but you no longer have them available.
    Exactly.

And there's no downside to using a larger color space, assuming you're working with 16 bit images. Use the wide space, use a color managed workflow and calibrated monitor, and then soft proof to your final intent, whether it's to sRGB for the web or to the profile for the printer you're using.

Easy peasy.

Preston Birdwell

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Exactly.

And there's no downside to using a larger color space, assuming you're working with 16 bit images. Use the wide space, use a color managed workflow and calibrated monitor, and then soft proof to your final intent, whether it's to sRGB for the web or to the profile for the printer you're using.

Easy peasy.
    +1 That's exactly what I do. I use Adobe RGB and let Photo Shop manage color for printing using the appropriate paper profile, and sRGB for the Web. btw: I have an NEC wide-gamut monitor.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

To EVERYONE... Thank you!!! I need to explore Prophoto RGB, truth is I have never even heard of it.
    So it's aRGB for the camera and shoot in Camera RAW, scan in Prophoto, print with the Epson 3880 using Prophoto. Does Photoshop use Prophoto?
    Thanks, Bill

There's always LAB color - I've read a couple of books that make some reasonable sounding claims about it that (like a lot of things lately) I can't quite remember. Oh well, better to forget things that happened than to remember things that didn't I guess. At least I'm not quite to the point where, when I go to a party, I have to wear my "Hi, I'm Jim" badge upside down so I can remind myself who I am.

LAB Color... a friend of mine has shown me how to use LAB color to isolate the B&W channel, then sharpen the B&W only, recombine the channels and you have a sharp image without the edges of the colors becoming distorted. Seems to work. Any comments? The sharpening part of digital photography kicks my butt.
    Thanks again, Bill