Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod for light medium format

Tripod for light medium format

Hi gang,

I need some help with sourcing a light-ish tripod for my TLR.

I have been using a Gitzo G1027(weekend series) and I find it a bit flimsy and too short most of the times. I picked up an Aluminum Reporter series tripod and it's too big and heavy, is there anything in between?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, and by all mean it does not need to be a Gitzo only.

I apologize this is not LF related

Robert

Re: Tripod for light medium format

Is the TLR a Rolleiflex or similar? Amongst the carbons, a Gitzo 2540 LVL (with the levelling centre column) would be about the right size, mine's about five years old, they probably have a new designation for it now. Works very well for me with Hasselblad gear. An old aluminium Tiltall is also a good choice, and not very different size and weight, but only if the head locking mechanism is still smooth and strong. You could also look at the woodies, both Ries (J series) and Berlebach (lighter Report series) have MF suited models, and are excellent tripods but you have to like the woodie style and feel. Ries has launched a new web-site and updated its range (and, hmmm, prices). Last pick would be a Dutch Hill P900 carbon coated aluminium surveyor type camera tripod, sturdy enough for a Pentax 67 system and good for a TLR. Main thing I learned about picking tripods over the years was that it doesn't pay to always want too light, you end up disappointed.

I have a Gitzo 2530 Lvl which I find great and use for my 5x7 Canham when out and about, but I recently picked up a Giottos MTL8261B 6x Carbon Fibre Tripod which to all intents and purposes is a copy of the Gitzo without the leveling head, but with some improvements such as foam sleeves over the top sections (much more comfortable when carrying over the shoulder), lever lock legs and a strap lug. It costs around $400 compared to the $800 of the Gitzo. Well worth a look, its rigid, light and very well built.

leitz tiltall. $50-100 used. (with built in head)

I don't mean to be rude and I hope you don't take it that way but this is a large format forum. Questions about other formats can be posted but they should be in the Lounge.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

In any case, the Reporter is about as good a compromise as you're going to get unless you go to carbon fiber. CF will save you almost half the weight of aluminum.
    The Reporter and Tiltall are comparable except you can swap heads on the Gitzo, not the Tiltall.
    There are some relatively inexpensive carbon fiber tripods out there, Velbon, Induro, and a box full of other brands

Thanks for all the suggestions, to illustration my frustration, here is a pix of the tripod size comparison.

I use the Gitzo 1325 for both 45 and 810 (there, I hope this makes it LF relevant ). The Reporter is heavier and almost the same length of the 1325. Ideally I like to get one is some what in between the Weekender and the Reporter. The Rollei TLR is awfully light and small on top of either the Reporter or 1325 :-)

but serious, if this is too much of an offense to any LF only member, please move it to the Lounge.

Robert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tripods.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions, to illustration my frustration, here is a pix of the tripod size comparison.

I use the Gitzo 1325 for both 45 and 810 (there, I hope this makes it LF relevant ). The Reporter is heavier and almost the same length of the 1325. Ideally I like to get one is some what in between the Weekender and the Reporter. The Rollei TLR is awfully light and small on top of either the Reporter or 1325 :-)

but serious, if this is too much of an offense to any LF only member, please move it to the Lounge.

Robert
    It isn't a question of "offense." I'm not at all offended by it. It's a question of following the rules and guidelines of the forum whether one likes them or not.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian,

What tripod would you recommend for a really really light LF camera?

And after that, what developer would you recommend for 4x5 Acros 100, but not for 120 Acros? Definitely not 120.

I use a Gitzo G220 for 35mm, medium format, and my Chamonix 4x5. I use it when I'm trying to pack a bit lighter than my G340 with a geared column, which I would guess weighs about 4x as much. It's an alloy model and at least a few generations back but I got it for a good price and it does the job well. It's also not all that tall, but I stand 5'7" so I don't need it to be. I would be hard pressed to find a better tripod for lightweight equipment on a non-carbon budget.

Photo related: 4x5 stuff with the tripod in question.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	87487