Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plexi ground glass

Re: Plexi ground glass

Tap Plastics sells or used to sell a product called P95, which was ground on one side and worked well as a ground glass. Tracy Storer should know; I know he used it. Perhaps he'll comment.

Sandy,
    I dredged this up from a previous thread. It's a very cheap & easily made plastic version of ground glass - I believe it is the same technique used on the wehman & ritter cameras. -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by civich View Post
    Alex,
    If you decide to try a plastic gg for your ULF project here is some info which may be of use.
    Transluscent film as described by Jay is available from any art/engineering supply in sizes larger than your 20x20 and in various degrees of opacity. Some comes with an adhesive side but I would avoid these due to the difficulty in eliminating the inevitable air bubbles.
    To apply use a 'window film application solution' available at any big box home improvement store and follow the instructions. A hard rubber roller (from an art or hobby center) will help work out the air bubbles.
    The resulting plastic ( I used polycarbonate, Lexan brand ) "ground glass" is easily marked with grid lines. Is plastic suitable for your ULF? - dunno - it works fine for my 8x10 and is cheap and in the unlikely event of breakage easily replaced. Is it a quality gg? - for a lot more money you could get something brighter and more fragile but, then again, you will probably not be slinging that bad boy around in a backpack!
    -Chris

If what you are looking for is to put an "etch" or tooth into an ordinary piece of plexiglas so that a focusable image is obtained I would suggest between a 400 & 600 grit sand paper on an "Orbitable" or oscilating sander.

If you intend using sandpaper by hand to effect the scratch than I would suggest something more along the lines of 800 girt paper and water, still in a circular motion.

OR, since this is my livelihood send it to me and I'll put the scratch on the PG per the above for your inspection.

Cheers!

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

OK, Will brought me in......there are two acrylic sheet products with "ground" textures ready made. P-95 and P-99.
    P-95 is coarse, a bit too coarse, and renders a dark image which is hard to focus on for small cameras, but usable for ULF. P-99s "grind" is too light, and is hot-spot-city, even with a fresnel.
    I experimented a bit with loose abrasives, and found it tedious, and would look further into some kind of spray, whether some kind of "sandblasting" or a surface finish. (Satin poly, can give a nice GG effect on plexi, but can peel off)
    This is still something I will continue to look into when I have more time, I hate worrying about breaking big groundglass.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Thanks for all replies.

I have some translucent plastic on hand and am going to try to adhere this to acrylic. I did a rough check and it looks like it might work fine if I can get it to stick evenly.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon