Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Shen Hao vs. 8x10 Tachihara

8x10 Shen Hao vs. 8x10 Tachihara

Hi Everyone,

I have finally decided to get into 8x10 large format after turning down jobs from clients looking for larger images up to 72” wide, I think 4x5 would be pushing the limits for those sizes. I have set a limit of around $2000 so I can put more $$$ into the lens (150 and 300mm) and I prefer to buy new and these 2 models have caught my eye. The camera will be used for landscapes and it seems the Shen Hao seems to have more movements then the Tachihara but do I really need them all? If anyone has had on hands knowledge about the overall performances of ether one it would be very well appreciated in making a final decision...Thanks

Re: 8x10 Shen Hao vs. 8x10 Tachihara

Bostonartist, With your preset budget, and your plan to buy new, in my opinion, you are limiting your choices. For up to $2k I think you can do much better on the used market. As a long time large format user, I would much prefer a used Deardorff field camera or Sinar or Cambo monorail to either the SH or Tachihara. As far as lenses go, 150mm is a very wide (& expensive) choice on 8x10. I have seen some very fine large silver gelatin prints from 4x5 (albeit not 5ft long). If you are planning to scan & digitally print...well that's another story altogether. I've seen Jay Dusard's Monumental prints which are in that size range. At that size I would expect that the scanning & printing are well up the list in the factors affecting the quality of the output print.

Yes, a used but super clean Deardorff or Canham 8x10 field camera or Sinar P2 8x10 monorail would serve you better. As a point of reference, the Sinar P2 8x10 sold new in 2005 for over $10,000 but a mint used one can be bought today for under $2,000.

Greg Y......Why Deardorff? I keep seeing this come up on a lot of post and have always wondered what makes this a better option, also I do plan on on scanning and printing digitally. My impression on LF is that the $$$ should be in the glass and I do not mind spending extra for that....the reason I want 150mm is that looking at what I shoot on my FF camera many times it is in the range of 150mm in a 8x10. I did look at the Cambo mono rail and was interested in the option that camera would give to do micro and portraits if the opportunity for that ever came up.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Barlow View Post
    Yes, a used but super clean Deardorff or Canham 8x10 field camera or Sinar P2 8x10 monorail would serve you better.
    Based on what?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Based on what?

Quality. Design. Resale.

What kind of photos ? Do they necessitate a folding wooden field camera ? A bunch of holders and a tripod will weigh more than the camera.

I have and use both 8x10 Tachiharas, the double extension and the triple extension models. In the last twenty years I have encountered no faults. For landscape work the camera movements have never approached the design limits. At the present time a Tachihara double extension 810GF runs a tad over $2000 brand new direct from Tachihara.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Thanks Maris.....for landscape I would think the double extension would be better. Midwest also has the GF priced at $1900

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    What kind of photos ? Do they necessitate a folding wooden field camera ? A bunch of holders and a tripod will weigh more than the camera.
    Ken...do you have suggestions, I saw your post from 2004 on the comparison of these 2 and the deardorff. The photos will be color transparency 75% of the time, will start off with b&W, I would think folding so it could be packed....I am not worried about weight unless it get past 80lbs, I am condition right now for 80lbs on my back.