Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 8x10 Shen Hao vs. 8x10 Tachihara

Re: 8x10 Shen Hao vs. 8x10 Tachihara

Your clients are insisting on the golden ratio?
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    Your clients are insisting on the golden ratio?
    No they are not, I know an interior designer that has clients in building management of office buildings in Boston. I was asked to supply images to fit spaces up to 72" and maybe more, these image will be able to be seen up close. I could not do these with my FF in those sizes....thus my search to go into large format. I have always enjoyed the golden rule ratio coming from a past life as a landscape painter and I have lost some good sales from the designer because of the lack of doing larger images. If I do go for the 5x8 (golden rule) its because I think it would be more eye pleasing to more potential customers. Right now I am torn between the 8x10 and the 5x8, with the 8x10 I can crop to any size within the sizes above, vs. the 5x8 that has a "built in" natural aspect to the human eye, dating back for centuries and the obvious cost reduction of cutting 8x10 in half (specially since I will ruin a few films during the learning curve)

Pretty sure Ed Burtynsky works (or has) in 4x5 and his large prints are definitely not lacking in detail, among other things. I know he's used mf digital for recent work (Oil Sands) so not sure if 4x5 is still part of his workflow. I don't think there will be *that* much to be gained from moving up to 8x10, from 4x5. ymmv
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    I'm still hung up on the idea that projects are lost due to the inadequate resolution of 4x5.
    Yeah. Me too. I in fact don't shoot 4x5 anymore, but I don't use 8x10 for additional resolution: I don't think there is any additional resolution. You might gain a small decrease in grain, but 8x10 film enlarged nine times still shows grain.

Plus the OP stated that s/he wants a 150mm for 8x10, which makes me wonder if s/he will be satisfied with the wide angle options in 8x10. If you want something wider than 150 you don't have decent options, and if you want something between 165 and 210 you have, as far as I know, a single lens that just hits the corners.

It seems like the real solution here is a panning rig and some stitching software for the Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by John O'Connell View Post
    It seems like the real solution here is a panning rig and some stitching software for the Canon.
    Thanks John....I do stitch with the RRS pano rig, but I have never been real happy with the results. If you compare film against against a digital stitch image at a larger size film always wins out as far as I am concern. I had the opportunity to talk to a well known panoramic photographer about this at his gallery last winter and we compared his stitched images with his film images and there was a difference.

If you are thinking of doing macro, you might want to look more seriously at a used Sinar as mentioned by others. Rear focus would be a plus for Macro work. Most wooden cameras only offer front focus, it's not impossible, but it does make life easier at macro distances. Also, I'm not sure how a 150 would do as a portrait or macro lens; I'm thinking that it would not be an ideal focal length for either purpose.

-DP

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonartist View Post
    Greg Y......Why Deardorff? I keep seeing this come up on a lot of post and have always wondered what makes this a better option, also I do plan on on scanning and printing digitally. My impression on LF is that the $$$ should be in the glass and I do not mind spending extra for that....the reason I want 150mm is that looking at what I shoot on my FF camera many times it is in the range of 150mm in a 8x10. I did look at the Cambo mono rail and was interested in the option that camera would give to do micro and portraits if the opportunity for that ever came up.

Quote Originally Posted by dperez View Post
    If you are thinking of doing macro, you might want to look more seriously at a used Sinar as mentioned by others. Rear focus would be a plus for Macro work. -DP
    Would you suggest the Sinar F2 then.

Hi bostonartist! What did you end up getting? Shenhao or tachihara? I'm in the same league right now but i'm torned between deardorff and shen hao. Atleast these two would fit on my budget if i look for used i just need to wait.