Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zion / Yosemite trip recomendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Zion / Yosemite trip recomendations

I'm at the early stages of planning a two week trip in September from the UK. My plan at the moment is to fly into Las Vagas and spend 4 nights in Zion; drive to Death Valley for a couple of nights, then drive on to Yosemitie for about a week before flying out of San Franscisco.

Does this sound like a good plan, or am I missing some "must photograph" eg Bryce Canyon and doing something like death valley which may not be the best use of 2 nights?

Any recomendations?

Re: Zion / Yosemite trip recomendations

You will never "see it all" on one trip to the Western US. You'll also hear that you need to do this or that, but you could spend more time in any of your 3 locations and still not see it all. Even within one of your locations travel distances are greater than you think they'll be. It takes more effort to get off the beaten track, or to schedule photography when the light is right. Photographs taken at high noon look like photographs taken at high noon. Think of an initial trip like this as more of a scouting trip. You'll certainly get some photography done, but you'll see things you haven't anticipated and realize you need to come back to obtain a specific image. Besides, no two photographers have the same objective in mind. And, your objectives may change when you actually see the West.

Your plan sounds fine. My advice would be to not try to do too much beyond what you've stated. When I plan a trip to that area I just plan a general route with a couple of definite stops. The rest of the time I go where/when the opportunities arise based on what I see. You could spend 3 hours on the side of an un-named road doing the best photography possible - that alone will screw up a tightly planned itinerary - but that's the kind of photography that yields the best images.

I need to get out there again too.

John

Don't underestimate the beauty of Death Valley. Zabriske Point is a must. All the photographers will arrive before sunrise and leave as soon as the sun comes up. The light is flat and boring. In twenty minutes or so, it will be kissing all the peaks and photograph wonderfully. It is equally great in late afternoon. Death Valley National Park is larger than some states. Artist's Palette, Badwater, Devil's Gold Course, and any of the dunes should fill two days for you. The dunes are a must for sunrise to avoid footprints. Get there early before anyone else and walk far in where it is pristine.

A major omission on your trip is the slot canyons. Antelope Canyon is two hours from Zion. It can be photographed in a couple hours and you will have an incredible variety of images. Also there in Page, AZ is Horseshoe Bend. That is best at sunset. To make the best use of your time, a day in Page, AZ will give you lots of great images you cannot get anywhere else in the world.

You're not going to cover everything even if you have a lifetime to spend. Use your itinerary as a skeleton and fill in whatever else you can as time allows. Be flexible.
    You might consider Las Vegas-Grand Canyon-Zion-Yosemite-Mono/Mammoth-Death Valley-Las Vegas, unless San Francisco holds your interest, as a r/t airfare to Las Vegas might be less costly than open jaws, plus you'll avoid return fees for your rental car. This would also give you the eastern slope of the Sierras and the Grand Canyon
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I think your basic itinerary is good, with plenty of time to make discoveries in each location. But, with the exception of Zion (e.g., southern Utah), September would not be my time of choice for photography in those locations. I wouldn't waste much time with Bryce, other than as a drive-by. Photographically, it tends to be a one-trick pony, and proper lighting can make it a difficult one at that. However, Bryce is at the southern end of UT highway 12. The drive through the upper Escalante on 12 is one of the most scenic anywhere. Coyote Buttes (i.e., The Wave), is worth the brief side trip east of Zion, if you can get a permit. Of course, the Grand Canyon, and its general environs.

It will still be quite hot in DV, easily 100º+ – but then mad dogs and Englishmen... . "Yosemite", varying in elevation from about 2000' to 12,000'+, will be "dry", unless we get a very wet winter. None of the major waterfalls, save the Merced drainage, will likely be flowing. Snow will be restricted to the highest, and distant elevations. Meadows will be brown (golden?), with only a few late blooming wildflowers. Because of normally stable, dry, post summer weather patterns, September is high season for climbing in the Valley, if that is a consideration. Be certain to sign up for "print viewing", unique to the AA Galley there.

But here's the take-a-way. Be as flexible as you have said you are willing to be and you'll have an amazing time, whether or not a camera is from and center. I was talking just last night with an Aussie expatriate, who was decrying the 2 day drive to and from Glacier National Park from SoCal. Remember that the journey is likely to be just as, if not more, important than the destination, photographically or otherwise.

I think that your basic plan is a good one. Although Bryce and destinations further east (or south) are amazing, you'll double your drive time and add to the gas bill - consider heading east of Zion on another trip. Depending on timing and the light, I would recommend spending a sunrise or sunset at Alabama Hills and Mono Lake - these are only a few miles "out of your way" en route to Yosemite via Tioga Pass. Slightly more distant is Bodie State Historical Park - it's approximately a 70 mile round trip from your turn into Yosemite National Park. John Kasaian's LV to LV suggestion should be given some thought, if San Francisco is just a hub for your return flight.

Drew Wiley

Death Valley itself might still be pretty hot in Sept (to state it conservatively!), but if you
    can't spend much time there that time of year, it is fairly quick to cross it over to Lone Pine, and then up Hwy 395. There are numerous side canyons into the eastern Sierra
    escarpment you migh want to check out. The drive up to Lk Sabrina above Bishop, and
    then up to road's end on Rock Creek above Tom's place are fairly quick and might give you
    an early taste of fall color, and some closer sights of the peaks. You can access the Yosemite area over Tioga Pass, of course; but Sonora Pass slightly farther north will be
    equally beautiful that time of year, and would allow you a loop trip.

My September experience has been that Yosemite has beautiful hiking weather, but as noted, is too dry for much waterfall action, and too early for good color. Zion is hot (hot!) and also too early for foliage color, though always nice for the rocks. Bryce and much of the Southwest will have great stark landscape (Monument Valley OMG), but I'd go north -- e.g. Jackson Hole, from where you can drive to the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and up to Glacier National before the park accommodations close, or down to Rocky Mountain National Park, all without enduring endless miles of nothing in between.

But, as said above, the places you've picked will still blow your mind when you first see them, and you could spend a week in each, hiking at least 10 miles a day through awe-inspiring views. I'd first go to Moab, then to Bryce, then to Zion, as the "wow" factor increases in that order, IMO. Then drive back to LV and fly to SF, where you can either rent a car to go to Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne Meadows, or Amtrak it cheaply (though you might not have an easy time getting to Tuolumne depending on the date).

Generally, September sounds like it might not be the best month for yosemite, and Zion / Death valley may be very hot (not suited to my pasty white northern england skin!) so as my dates are flexible, would I be better postponing for a few weeks and go in early/mid October instead for cooler weather, Autumn colours, and better waterfalls?

many thanks for your advice so far.

Drew Wiley

Oct will certainly have much more fall color; but this is altitude dependent, of course. Too
    early for color in Zion Can per se, but upper Zion and nearby Kolob Can will probably have changed color. Eastern Sierras will have aspen color in the upper canyons, around 9,000 ft or so, but not way down in Yosemite Valley, though it will have quieted some per crowds and will not be as hot or smoggy as in Sept. Just remember that snowfall will be inevitable somewhere along this kind of route. Accommodations will be scarcer in Oct, and it is very very very advisable to keep warm sleeping bags in your rental car, along with extra food and water. Weather can vary considerably, from winter-like to downright hot in Oct. Getting stuck in snow or having car breakdown can become seriously dangerous if you're not prepared for that kind of thing. And don't rely on cell phone reception. Also be cautious about deer hunters in the aspen that time of year; but overall, it's an absolutely
    wonderful season to make such a tour.