Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Still Life Images, 2013

Re: Still Life Images, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Peter,

Everything looks great on my monitor. Much more contrast on the fruit and more detail on the towel. Overall, a much more pleasing image. Nicely done. The detailed background does not bother me as it doesn't compete with any of the forms presented against it. It actually adds to the interest of the photograph. One thing (among many) that I learned from Christopher Broadbent on this forum was the importance of a horizontal line to which the viewer could orient. Only a small amount of table edge appears to the right of the pitcher, which seems to be almost enough here because of the horizontal grain of the table top in the foreground. I wonder if allowing the composition to breathe a little bit more by pulling the camera back and showing a bit of table edge on the left would make the image stronger? Also, you could show a little of the facing table edge that would create a foreground horizon all the way across the image. Just thinking out loud...
    Jim,

Thanks a lot for your inspiring thoughts. Yes, the work of Christopher Broadbent is absolutely captivating. If I had learned more from him I'd be a much better photographer. But I keep trying to learn from any source available.

It sounds like a very good idea to leave a bit more space around and include a more visible horizon line. I'll see what I can do in this direction. My space to place the camera is so limited that I may have to switch to a slightly shorter lens.
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

Here are some Elephant Garlic stalks that were hanging around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	89357

These were fun. Made with a Schneider ReproClaron. 8x10 contact print on Lodima paper. Nelson Gold toner.

Quote Originally Posted by jkcz View Post
    Hi Jim,
    i know, glass is big challenge . Everything in the room is mirrored, including camera and myself. This picture was taken in 3x3m room, single light source reflected from white wall.
    13x18cm Fomapan 100+PyrocatHD, printed on Fomalux SP.
    Really nice, Jiri! Not an unwanted reflection anywhere. How do you mirror yourself and the camera?
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Chamonix 45n-2
    4x5 Tmax 100
    Zeiss Tessar 180mm @f36
    2 min exposure - metered at 60 seconds
    Rodinal 1:100 stand

Finally a new photo for me! And first with the new Chamonix 45n-2 - an awesome camera. Also technically out of focus . A 180mm lens at 19 or so inches gives zero dof. I just decided to try and focus between the two flowers and stop the lens down all the way which on the Zeiss is a weird f36.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

It's beautiful and I cannot tell that it's out of focus on my screen. I also like the colour hue, almost looks like toned in selenium.

This Tessar is amazingly sharp for its age. f36 is quite logical for a 1:4.5 lens before light meters were common but inconvenient nowadays. What's odd is that they used one scale with 4.5*2^n and another scale with 2^(n/3), which is our modern standard.
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

Zaitz,

I like this one, too. The toning is pleasant and it works nicely in the square format.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Yeti View Post
    It's beautiful and I cannot tell that it's out of focus on my screen. I also like the colour hue, almost looks like toned in selenium.

This Tessar is amazingly sharp for its age. f36 is quite logical for a 1:4.5 lens before light meters were common but inconvenient nowadays. What's odd is that they used one scale with 4.5*2^n and another scale with 2^(n/3), which is our modern standard.
    Thank you! I knew it'd end up on the softer end but hoped it'd be passable and I think it is. But on the raw scan you can see that it isn't technically 'sharp'. But I am not one of these folks that is after absolute sharpness 100% of the time.

The Tessar is nice and I think I over paid at like $65 from eastern Europe. They don't seem to get a lot of credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Zaitz,

I like this one, too. The toning is pleasant and it works nicely in the square format.
    Thanks! I'm a big fan of toning, though never got a chance to try it in the darkroom.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

I have two 1920s Zeiss Tessars, both 15cm f/4.5, and one 18cm f/4.5 Xenar from the same period, and the sharpness varies among all of them. One of the Tessars is noticeably sharper than the other both on the ground glass and in the negatives. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I swear I can tell the difference.

Jonathan

After some trial and error, I came up with a version of my rotten apple that may make it into the "keep" box. Thank you Jim, your comments were very helpful and much appreciated. Since my beloved sitter is croaking, this is likely to be the final version.

Just by coincidence, this was shot with a 4.5/18cm Zeiss Tessar like the one by Zaitz. Mine is extremely sharp, I was flabbergasted when I first got it.
    c&c always welcome!

Peter,

Definitely a keeper. Well done! You're welcome. I'm just spreading around some help I received on this forum.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ