Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incident Light Meter for 200.00 or Less

Incident Light Meter for 200.00 or Less

All meters with a selenium cell share a problem: They don't work in low light at all and loose their accuracy already below about EV 8/9.

If I would need to settle on only one meter in your price range I would look for a used Sekonic L-408. It is small, perfect for incident light metering and has a build-in spot meter (5 degrees) on top .

I'll third the Weston Master V + invercone suggestion. It really works great after you get it calibrated by Quality Light Metric.

Craigclu

If you don't need flash or extremely low light capability, you couldn't do better than the L-398 Sekonic. I've had one since 1979, it has stayed spot on and remains reliable. I've got more modern meters, but I would certainly rely on the old Sekonic for 95% of what I do with a meter. I've seen many fresh looking used ones floating through the auction site and would guess you could pick one quite easily there. If it's for light duty with potential long periods between spurts of use, the fact that it doesn't rely on batteries is a plus, too.

Here is the proper address and Phone Number. Quality Lite Metric 7095 Hollywood Blvd., Unit #550, Hollywood, CA 90028. The correct phone number is 323-467-2265. This was current on 5-12-03. If you find this incorrect please let me know. I disagree with Martin concerning Weston V in low light. Mine works well down to EV4 and 5 consistently. Perhaps it is my particular meter? No meter on a camera or hand held is perfect but for size and no battery these meters IF you can find one are hard to beat. I have used mine for several years with good results when I pay attention to what I am doing.

I have a Calcu-Light XP that I use for primarily incident readings. I have found it to be one accurate meter. I believe it goes down to -7 EV and it weighs about 4 ozs., and has a spot meter attachment (10 degrees). Quantum did a very good job on this meter! I also use a Weston Euromaster II. What can you say about the Westons? They have always been great meters. I do wish however that that the EV range was lower on these. You've got selenium vs. SPD cells. Big difference on EV range!!