Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in 8 x 10 Fuji Acros???

Re: Anyone interested in 8 x 10 Fuji Acros???

@Jay

I originally went to Japan on a 90 day business trip - which got extended for another 90 days - and another 90 days -and another 90 days - and then turned into a 2 year assignment - and a 2 year renewal - and a 1 year renewal. And then I came back to the US, married and with a Great Dane. My wife lived in Nagoya (about 200 miles from Tokyo) when we met; she didn't speak English and I didn't speak Japanese and the friends who introduced us did the translating for a couple of years. I was studying Japanese for work so eventually we could actually go out by ourselves. I never in a zillion years thought I'd ever go to Japan, much less get married, and I can guarantee that she never in her wildest dreams thought she'd wind up living in the Arizona desert. Strange how things work out, isn't it?

@Tim

Have to admit the ICU was a fascinating experience - miserable but fascinating all the same. Neat technology, although I would have sort of preferred not to have been the one it had to be used on. My wife was afraid I'd never wake up and then I woke up but was still on the respirator for another day and couldn't communicate at all and she was more worried that there would be brain damage and it wouldn't really be me anymore. She went home and got a couple of photos I'd taken in Sedona and brought them in and held them up and when I winked and nodded she finally figured I'd be OK. Pretty emotional. Photos can be good for more than one might think!

@Jim and Tim:

Pulmonary emboli are really scary, the odds of surviving are pretty slim. I'll keep you both in my prayers that you never again experience one. My two younger brothers are identical twins, both have survived PE's. One twin had a second PE about a year ago, his guardian angel must have been working overtime for him to survive the second one.

May you both have continued good health.
    Michael Cienfuegos

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I haven't been to Japan since my military days when I spent 2 weeks hiking/traveling through the country. I found it a very beautiful country and people and I love Acros!! I'll take 1, 2 or all three boxes - whatever you can bring back.

Thomas

Jim,

I was very lucky to marry a lovely Russian woman, and double lucky that she speaks perfect English. Neither of us ever imagined our lives would turn out this way, either. Sometimes life is kind and generous. I wish you and yours all the best, and continued good fortune!

Thanks Jay - best wishes for the new year. and thanks to Michael for his kind words. Funny thing is that I wasn't worried at all - I figured if I was still semi conscious when I got to the hospital things would work out OK. My wife, on the other hand was terrified - particularly when the Docs wouldn't give a prognosis and just shook their heads and said "very difficult" and left. Heck - I was out like a light and had very little idea what was going on. The miserable part was the month in the hospital AFTER I got out of the ICU.

Re Acros - IF it's in stock when I'm in Tokyo I'm planning to bring back about 5 or 6 boxes. And MAYBE 1 box of the Pro 400 Negative film in 8 x 10 just to try. I think that will get me to the limit of what I can bring without paying duty. Always depending on what my wife has asked her friends to send back with me, of course! I remember once having to go to the Tokyo central market at Tsukiji the morning of my flight to buy a whole salted salmon. And then I forgot it when deplaning and tried to go back and get it but they wouldn't let me back on the plane - until I told them I'd left a fish on board.

My clients are here at least once a month and I think they wouldn't mind carrying a box or two for me if I can figure out how to order it online or by phone and have it sent to their homes which is what we do with tea and stuff. So there may be a small ongoing availability. Of course I carry things from the US as well, like small auto parts for an old VW my friend is restoring.

I would love to take you up on the offer for one box if you don't mind shipping to Canada. I also have family in the area that might be able to meet locally. Not sure exactly how far from Tucson they are mind you so that may not be an option other than shipping to them instead.

I'm interested in a box, although I'm in no rush and could wait for a later trip. Acros is my main 4x5 and 120mm film, and it's reciprocity characteristics would make it outstanding for 8x10. Thank you for your generosity!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I'd love to take you up on a very kind and generous offer, but my budget only allows Arista Edu film for the next little while.
    I wish you a safe and wonderful trip.

Hi Wayne. What town do they live in? Definition of "close" around here is 100 miles or so:<))

Hi Ari - I wouldn't mind splitting a box if you like. At the slow rate I burn through 8 x 10 film 30 sheets would last quite a few months and then it would be time for another trip across the pond! It comes packed in two separate 10 sheet envelopes so easy to split. I have a few more boxes of in-date Tri-X than I think I'll be using in the next 6 or 8 month so am thinking of selling some of it before it hits its expiration date as well.

Used to only use one kind of film but it's been fun experimenting with a few different emulsions lately.