Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uncommon Common Lenses

Re: Uncommon Common Lenses

IanG, Kodak was a huge global company even that far back, so it's no surprise that the British division did their own thing. (On a related note, it's also interesting that Hasselblad used a similar letter code for their camera bodies and film backs- V H P I C T U R E S = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0.)

Quote Originally Posted by dap View Post
    There was a 14" ektar that just sold on ebay that was a pretty uncommon version of a common lens. It was mounted in a silver compound shutter. I've never seen a 14" ektar mounted in a compound shutter much less a fancy pants factory polished compound shutter (I wonder if it was standard issue for that year or some kind of kodak prototype). I placed a bid but ended up losing out on it - too bad, it might have been the prettiest shutter mounted lens I've ever come across (normally I'm not much of a sucker for the way equipment looks but this thing was gorgeous - too bad kodak eventually moved over to using Ilex shutters).
    One was for sale on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/4618...0499322629146/

I have not seen one of these chrome compound shutters before and am curious if it was specific to the Kodak lens or if anyone knows of other examples?

I have started a new thread here: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...94#post1697094

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	355mm 6.3 Kodak Anastigmat Ektar in neat paintless compur  102.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	244042

Find B&J Chicago Lens Database newsprint or copy

Mine is 1963

All WWW II surplus some NOS

more remounted
    Tin Can

Joel Edmondson

I have one of the Fujinon 135mm f5.6 W lenses in Seiko shutter which has been my favorite lens for several years. I was fortunate enough to find one that was truly "mint" and sent the shutter off to Carol Flutot for a CLA. I can't recall the last time I used a different lens and I have always been amazed by the performance of the lens!
    Joel

I have a Fujinon A 360mm f/9 that's mounted in a Copal #3 instead of f/10 in a Copal #1.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Curious is your single-coated Fuji 135mm 5.6 W in a Seiko shutter? Mine was (until I put the cells in a modern Copal 0). I'm wondering if they ever made these lenses in a shutter other than the Seiko. As far as performance, I have used my Fuji 135mm on 5x7 and it covers just fine.
    The original W 125mm, 135mm & 150mm Fujinons came in Seiko #0 shutters. All of the longer W Fujinons came in Copal shutters, and the 150mm was eventually sold with a Copal #0 shutter. The 125mm & 135mm did not make the change to Copal -- for some reason -- at least it's not in the literature. Seems odd, but Fuji made a lot of mistakes in their literature, so I would not be surprised if the 125mm & 135mm were actually sold with Copal shutters -- before the later NW versions.

Quote Originally Posted by MAubrey View Post
    I have a Fujinon A 360mm f/9 that's mounted in a Copal #3 instead of f/10 in a Copal #1.
    Did it come from the factory that way? Seems odd to put that lens on such a larger shutter for so little gain in light.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    The original W 125mm, 135mm & 150mm Fujinons came in Seiko #0 shutters. All of the longer W Fujinons came in Copal shutters, and the 150mm was eventually sold with a Copal #0 shutter. The 125mm & 135mm did not make the change to Copal -- for some reason -- at least it's not in the literature. Seems odd, but Fuji made a lot of mistakes in their literature, so I would not be surprised if the 125mm & 135mm were actually sold with Copal shutters -- before the later NW versions.
    Are those mistakes or just did users later just changed the shutters? Or did they somewhere halfway made a batch with other brand of shutter because they could have them faster? Or did they later put cells they had around in shutters they worked with then? Could be lots of reasons.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Like I said, I'm just listing what's in the literature. It shows that the W 150mm f5.6 switched from a Seiko to Copal shutter, but it does not show the 125mm or 135mm making the same "move". An error? Possibly. Probably not.

Ever since I heard that a 80mm Convertible Symmar existed I've been on the hunt for one to put on a 2x3 camera. I've seen maybe one on Ebay after months of looking. They seem to be rare for such a "common" lenses series at least.