Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Show of my carbon and platinum prints -- The University of the Arts in Philadelphia

Re: Show of my carbon and platinum prints -- The University of the Arts in Philadelph

The show should be going up as we speak (or write, anyway).

They are flying me back there at the end of a month -- I'll be giving a carbon printing workshop to a few students and faculty on the weekend (March 2/3), but with a demo of the process on Saturday morning before the actual workshop begins. If anyone would like to be at the demo (it will take a couple hours starting around 10 am...not set in stone yet), let me know and I'll see if non-university folks are welcomed. I'll arrive late Thursday night and spend Friday checking out the facilities and maybe running a few tests. I'll talk to a class on Tuesday in the gallery and fly home on Wednesday.

I heard there was a good art museum in town...if it is open on Mondays, I'll try to get there.

Vaughn

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Show of my carbon and platinum prints -- The University of the Arts in Philadelph

Vaughn, this is awesome. Congratulations.

Vaughn, unfortunately the Philadelphia Museum of Art (which is the "big" museum in town) is closed on Mondays,
    as well as the Perelman Building, where PMA has much of its permanent photography collection. The Rodin Museum
    on the Parkway should be open, it says.

If you enjoy "Impressionist" art, the Barnes Foundation, which is said to have a superb collection, is open on Mondays.
    I have not visited there, but the website tells us that purchasing tickets in advance is advised:
    http://www.barnesfoundation.org/visit/philadelphia/ That's a short taxi ride from where your show is.

Other locals may have alternative suggestions.

Cheers
    Joe

A taxi? Dang...that's big city stuff! I guess I can handle it...I did take a taxi in 1995 in Costa Rica. I'll be staying with the director of the photo program of the university, so I am sure I can get the low-down. Sounds like the variety of food is good in Philadelphia. What we have here tends to be more of the hippy variety... with just a hint of ethnicisity to it.

I just ordered some 120 film, so on Monday I might wander around Philly with the Rolleiflex.

Woot woot! Congrats!
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Perfect! I'll see you this coming weekend ... hope I can contribute to a round of brewskis in the City of Brotherly Love!!!!

Vaughn, that's fantastic, I hear they make great steak sandwiches there! The list of must see sites is long. There's a bell to see and the Rodin museum with the largest collection outside of France. 2nd is the Legion of Honor in San Francisco. Art, architecture, a great zoo, you can't get it all in. Better stay an additional week! Any brewery tours? . Pack light and have a great time.

The other "big" museum in Philly is the PA Academy of Fine Arts. It is closed on Monday, of course. The Mutter Museum is open on Mondays. You might want to check out the Navy Yard (it has a mothball fleet, including a supercarrier) or the Eastern State Penitentiary (I'd call in advance re: tripods).

Philly's train and subway system is very commuter-oriented, so you'll be looking into taxis or buses if you don't feel like hoofing it long distances to get around town to the interesting bits.

Vaughn, fantastic that you are going to make the show. For us folks stuck here on the west coast you'll have give us a full report. I'm sure it will be a huge success.

Roger

Scott Davis

Eastern State does require a tripod permit, which costs $10-15 (I forget exactly... its on their website). You can pay for it when you enter, no need to pre-arrange. For those who live nearby, it's a fantastic value as it is valid for the entire season (basically the rest of 2013). The Mutter would be a terrific way to pass a Monday (especially if the weather is lousy) with the caveat that I don't think they allow photography. Double-check on their website, as they may have changed the policy.