Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deciding on a 4x5 for digital conversion project

Deciding on a 4x5 for digital conversion project

New here; first post. I've been doing research for about a month now and I feel I am at the point where I can ask some questions and perhaps understand the answers. I've been shooting in 35mm and some MF for about 25 years as a serious hobbyist. I am getting quite interested in doing studio product photography from larger tabletop to furniture size. I have decided I am going to convert a 4x5 for use with a DSLR and a MF back. Right now I'm just focused on the DSLR and will be using a Canon 5DII. Cameras I am looking at for the conversion are the Sinar P, Cambo Master, and Horseman LE. Which of these will give me the most precise control of the movements? I know the Horseman is not really in the same class as the other two but it is much more readily available and less expensive so any particular comments as to its suitability would be appreciated.

Bob

Re: Deciding on a 4x5 for digital conversion project

More practical is either an actual digital view camera and a digital back. Least practical is slopping a DSLR on the back of a 45. Examples of a digital view camera is the M679 from Linhof and the P3 from Sinar.

I think a 4x5 conversion will certainly disappoint. It'll only allow use of too much longer lenses and then not nearly precise enough movements for the relatively tiny little sensor. Its a loosing proposition.

Buy the tilt shift lenses from Canon for your 5DII if you are serious about doing this work with a "35mm" digital.

If you want the real 'ole time view camera experience, buy a studio model 4x5, shoot film, (just as God intended), then scan.

Yeah, figured this would be my responses. The made-for-digital view cameras are astronomically priced. I guess they figure that if digital backs are so pricey they can justify their price. As to lens selection, perhaps there's something I'm missing. I plan to use Mamiya-Sekor 645 lenses. With a bag bellows that attches directly to the lens flange of the 5D and a custom recessed lens board, I should have no problem getting the necessary flange focus length for the 645 lenses. I believe dividing the focal length of the 645 lens by .66 will get me a pretty close approximation of the equivilent coverage in 35mm format. So, I should be able to get FOV of a standard lens. I know that the resolution of the MF lenses is not going to be as good as the modern digital lenses but I would like to see for myself how it is since there appear to be no full resolution examples on the internet. What I do see on the internet are a few examples of people who gave it a shot and produced some nice work. I also see the X2 PRO and the VCC so these camera companys seem to think there is something there. If I'm disappointed in the results, so be it. It is a project I want to try and along the way I may learn something.

Bob

I have used hassleblad v lenses on a Sinar p2 with a p45 for years, they work perfectly well, you just need an adaptor plate and a Sinar shutter, if you are wanting to use your canon it will be a lot simpler and more cost effective to get hold of some tilt and shift lenses, the nikon ai 35mm is an excellent choice as is the 55mm macro.Focusing to get an image sharp on any 5x4 using a 35mm back is very tricky, and best avoided

Quote Originally Posted by aluncrockford View Post
    Focusing to get an image sharp on any 5x4 using a 35mm back is very tricky, and best avoided
    From what I've read, tethered in live view works great for this creating a quick, efficient workflow.

Bob

Production photography side of commercial studio and catalog work went through several phases. You're talking about stepping back almost a score of years where they were commonly using MF digital backs on a 4x5 cameras not specifically engineered for digital. Sure, you could still do it. Commercial studios were working like this in the early 90's, but it was a transitional gear for what was already deeply embedded. Most would have been using Sinar 4x5 gear in the late 80's and there are a lot of SLR and MFDB adapter plates and pieces floating around in the used market. Working like this today might not be as efficient you might need to be cost-competitive in a production environment of a commercial setting, particularly if competing against other photographers for the limited revenue opportunities.

Too, results may not have as good/any better resolution or bit depth or dynamic range than a modern DSLR--but you could almost certainly make images this way. Keep in mind that 20 years ago, 16 or 24 MP images from anything but scanned LF film didn't yet exist. Your Canon 5DMkII did a lot to make LF film gear affordable when the folks in production environments suddenly didn't need to process and scan sheet film or buy $50K MFDBs any longer.

Recent versions of Photoshop on a current computer with fast scratch disks and a lot of RAM will make stitching and compositing images relatively easy, which it was not in the heyday of the gear you're contemplating.

I'm thinking that a decent macro lens (or tilt-shift macro lens, Nikon now makes several) and a tripod head that does stitching panos with the 5DMkII could prove to be all you would need, perhaps for similar money as getting into LF if you take your time and learning curve into consideration. If you haven't already, look at a Really Right Stuff catalog, particularly the geared rails to do focus stacking, for inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan J. Eberle View Post
    Working like this today might not be as efficient you might need to be cost-competitive in a production environment of a commercial setting, particularly if competing against other photographers for the limited revenue opportunities.
    But this does not apply to him, he referred to himself as a "Serious Hobbyist", they tend not to make any money....

"I believe dividing the focal length of the 645 lens by .66 will get me a pretty close approximation of the equivilent coverage in 35mm format. So, I should be able to get FOV of a standard lens."

I think you're missing something here. Just because an 80mm is a standard lens on the 645 doesn't mean it won't still behave like an 80mm lens on a full-frame 35mm sized DSLR. It'll be a short tele, not a standard lens.
    Dividing by .66 isn't really going to do anything for you.
    -Brian