Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you time your film when developing in trays?

Re: How do you time your film when developing in trays?

I use the massive dev chart in red light on my iPad. I just set it on the floor so I can easily glance down
    . This is a neat trick, as long as you are not distraught and step on the iPad.
    J. K.

Out of Plumb

Quote Originally Posted by jk0592 View Post
    I use the massive development chart on the iPhone. When loading film on holders or when film developing, I put ye olde Gralab 300 away for fear of film fogging. I use the Gralab only for print developing.
    I the same app. It has a feature to turn the colors all red. I also reduce the brightness on the screen and place it out of direct sight and reflection of the trays. When use in this way I cannot imagine it doing any harm.
    Paul Ward

First real camera: Nikon F2, gift from gandfather (1980), still have and use it.
    Wista m45 4x5
    Calumet Green Monster
    Agfa 8x10 Field Camera

“A big negative is really a positive…”

Quote Originally Posted by ataim View Post
    I the same app. It has a feature to turn the colors all red. I also reduce the brightness on the screen and place it out of direct sight and reflection of the trays. When use in this way I cannot imagine it doing any harm.
    Only issue I could imagine is if you're using it on your phone and a call comes in. I usually (if I remember) to put my phone or ipad in airplane mode first so I'm not distracted with calls or notifications of any kind.

I usually (if I remember) to put my phone or ipad in airplane mode first so I'm not distracted with calls or notifications of any kind
    . Exactly right.
    J. K.

I recommend a talking count-down timer. Perfect for use in the dark. No need to look at the time when it is being announced!

http://www.amazon.com/Tel-Timer-Talk..._sim_sbs_hpc_2

Regarding the older non-digital Gralabs: in general the luminescent dials doesn't produce enough light to really affect things however you can reduce the light further by simply putting it in a position that faces away from the film, but where you can still see it. My only real objection to the Gralab is that the buzzer sound REALLY grates on my nerves, and it doesn't shut off unless you drop whatever it is you're doing so you can turn it off. Really annoying.

I can turn off the buzzer on the GraLabs I use (there is a volume-control knob on the lower right of the timer face) -- though I think the very old ones may not be able to do so...they just have an on/off toggle switch on the very top of the timer.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    I recommend a talking count-down timer. Perfect for use in the dark. No need to look at the time when it is being announced!

http://www.amazon.com/Tel-Timer-Talk..._sim_sbs_hpc_2

Regarding the older non-digital Gralabs: in general the luminescent dials doesn't produce enough light to really affect things however you can reduce the light further by simply putting it in a position that faces away from the film, but where you can still see it. My only real objection to the Gralab is that the buzzer sound REALLY grates on my nerves, and it doesn't shut off unless you drop whatever it is you're doing so you can turn it off. Really annoying.

Yep, the talking timer is the bomb. I've been using them for a long time.

I've not used one personally but some people use a metronome for darkroom use.

Talking timer says " 5 minutes left, 4 minutes left, 3 minutes left, 2 minutes left, 1 minute left, 50 seconds left, 40 seconds left..etc.

massive dev chart app on my iPhone. I use it in either red or green depending on my mood. it sits a foot away from my trays or tanks and I've had no issue with fogging.