Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you time your film when developing in trays?

How do you time your film when developing in trays?

What kind of timer do you use to time your film when developing in trays? I had a little digital kitchen timer that I used for years, and has now gone missing. The problem with that one was I never could see the time, so I always had to guess when to agitate, and never really knew for sure that the timer was counting down, since I started it in the dark. Last night I tried a timer on my smartphone, but it gave off too much light. I would like a GraLab-300, but I'm afraid that would give off too much light as well. What are you all using?

Thanksa

Re: How do you time your film when developing in trays?

I use a Gralab, and have not any trouble with fogging film during processing. Can't remember the model, but this is one that has phosforescent numbers, which hold their luminosity fine for the duration of my processing. As long as the glow from the numbers isn't in direct view to the film, you will likely be fine.
    Keith

umop episdn

I used to use the countdown timer on my digital watch. Worked just fine for years, yet I've gotten where I really like using my GraLab 300. I picked up a second one as a spare because I like using them so much. Film, paper, wash times; it's really nice. The solid "thunk" of moving/setting the minute hand is a easy audible indicator in the dark.

The glow from these timers in the dark isn't an issue--search here and on APUG from numerous people who say it isn't a problem even with high speed film.

Kitchen timers are OK, if you can work out your method. I use a Zone VI Compensating Development Timer set on film mode (dimmer) to attain consistency. I have a Gra-Lab, but don't use it. Its glowing face and hands should not be a problem for normal development times, as long as it is not sitting in "view" of your developing trays. What does "in view" mean? Here's the old standard test of when dark is really dark enough. You should not be able to see your hand held up before your face after 10 minutes in your darkened environment. Obviously, you will see its outline if held before the clock (or other lighted timing device). But the hand, or anything other than your clock should not be visible if held in front of your trays. YMMV.

Graylab 300 does not give enough light for development by inspection.

I don't tray process film but if I did, I would use the same thing I use with my Jobo, tanks and tray process for paper, simply one of the best darkroom tools ever:

http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/...essmaster.html

I have Velcro on the back of mine so it can go from one task to the other...

I use a newer Gralab 300 with the glowing indices and hands and it works beautifully. I was worried that it would fog film as it's actually quite bright at 'full charge', but it does not fog the film located about 18-24" from my developing tray. Earlier, I used an older Gralab 300 that didn't have glowing indices and I painted glow in he dark paint on the hands and dial. Really didn't give off enough light, even in pitch dark, to see well enough for film developing.

I use a Gralab 900 process timer. Nine programmable steps with auto-advance. Footswitch start.

The LED display can be controlled separately for each step, so it's off through the fix, then
    on with a count-up timer for the wash and subsequent steps.

I set it to beep once every 30 seconds, then rapidly during the last 10 seconds of each step.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I have a Gralab 300 on a shelf above the trays. The shelf is 8" deep and the timer sits at the back and can't be seen from the trays. I cover it with a piece of scrap black mat board until the film is in the tray, then uncover it and start it. An abundance of caution perhaps but no fogged film means I'll stay with what works!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

I use a gralab 300. It doesn't glow much if you haven't had the lights on for a while. Toward the end of the countdown, I have to squint to see the second hand. I get things ready with the safelight on and it doesn't "charge" the gralab phosphors.