Thread: Adjustable height easel

Adjustable height easel

Hello!

I need to build an enlarging table that can lower so I can make 30x40 prints.

Any hints on the best designs would be appreciated, also if you could post any pictures of your self built units it would be a big help!

Thanks!
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Re: Adjustable height easel

The one time that I built one of these, I simply attached 1x2 firing strips as rails on cabinets located on either side, obviously very carefully leveled. Then had the enlarger (Omega D2-V) attached to the wall about a foot above the baseboard height. Not at all elegant, but quite functional. Mine was about 30 inches wide, but make it as wide as you need.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Same as lenser:

Enlarger (Dry Side):

Conceptual Dry Side Elevation Plan (Drop Table):

A Darkroom Portrait –> Enlarger

Thanks!

But what if you want to print very large?

I made a decision not to routinely print larger than ~30" x 40". I neither have a market for, nor can conceive of any legitimate reason to make, wet prints any larger. I could conceivably print larger in the space by enlarging horizontally against a wall, as most who print larger do. Printing 30x40, as indicated in my link, requires a 9 foot ceiling in order to raise the head sufficiently, and lowering the 36"x48" drop table almost to the floor. Whereupon a host of difficulties (leveling, focussing, etc.) must be overcome, not the least of which is a method by which a large print can be processed. My goal, in my thusly designed space, is to produce fine prints as large as I can personally handle. Being 6' 1", with a 6' 2" wingspan, that print is no larger than ~30x40, from enlarging to presentation.

A slightly different tweak on ROL 's design. Works best if your enlarger has an inclined column : Mount your enlarger to the front of the bench. Depending on projection angle of your setup,you can place the easel on the darkroom floor,or raise it on a suitable support for intermediate distances.
    This allows flexibility of easel placement without being limited by obstructions.

Not sure what you were going for here, but almost all enlarger columns that I've seen for LF are inclined over the work area, as mine is. The drop table moves outward as it is lowered, so much so that at its lowest shelf position, it is clamped to the support stringers to secure it from falling forward if too much weight forward upsets the balance. Not ideal, but a practical option. If I remember correctly, Bob Carnie has a movable stand with racks that project forward from top to bottom to accommodate varying enlargements. It's probably searchable here.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    The drop table moves outward as it is lowered.
    (Lightbulb goes on in head!)

Wow! Great Idea!

Thanks!

Red face Re: Adjustable height easel

Years ago Petersen's Photographic had a book titled "Blueprint Series" . Volume 2 has the plans for what you're looking for. I'd be happy to copy the plans and mail them to you.