Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lens for 11X14 format

Re: Lens for 11X14 format

Amen. The 360mm Symmars are HUGE! For example, the 360mm Symmar-S lenses have a filter size of about 121mm. (Maybe that's why one can find them for such reasonable prices.)

Thank you Michael for advise and trick about the bellow.

The Calumet 360 S-II (re-branded Symmar-S) covers 500mm at f22, but as Neil says, they are huge.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    355 is a pretty wide view on 11x14 IMO. If I were stuck with only one lens I think I would get a 420 or 480 like an RDA or similar.
    Regards
    Erik
    +1
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

While not usually a wide-angle sort of guy, the Computar 270/9 is pretty sweet on the 11x14!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Just a note to the OP who may not know, but the Dagor and Plasmat are very closely related. The Plasmat is a Dagor with a couple of cemented elements separated, allowing for more corrections in the surface shapes; the Plasmat was also called an "Air-Spaced Dagor". Performance is very similar, but the Dagor has a slight bit more coverage. Oh, and you'll have to pay a small fortune for that 360mm f/7.7 Dagor you mentioned in your first post.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    While not usually a wide-angle sort of guy, the Computar 270/9 is pretty sweet on the 11x14!
    I was fortunate enough to have seen the Computar lenses first hand when Sandy showed me what they are capable of. I acquired the 240mm Computar for the 11x14 and the 305mm Computar for the 8x20/12x20. Amazing coverage on these lenses but one has to be careful with field curvature at the extremes when shooting architecture. Their other application is as macro lenses where they shine in keeping your bellows extensions within your range of capability for your camera.

Schneider 480mm f4.5 Xenar.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Just a note to the OP who may not know, but the Dagor and Plasmat are very closely related. The Plasmat is a Dagor with a couple of cemented elements separated, allowing for more corrections in the surface shapes; the Plasmat was also called an "Air-Spaced Dagor". Performance is very similar, but the Dagor has a slight bit more coverage. Oh, and you'll have to pay a small fortune for that 360mm f/7.7 Dagor you mentioned in your first post.
    Thanks Mark. Your observations are consistent with what I was told about these optics but did not have the specific details.