Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we shoot for other photographers?

Do we shoot for other photographers?

Disclaimer: I ask this question with absolutely no experience or undertanding of what collectors and those who love art might be interested in. And I've had some drinks tonight (it's Christmas!).

Who do we shoot photographs for? Are we shooting to show off our technical competence? I've shot and printed a number of photographs lately that, if I was honest, I'd hope to impress other photographers rather than them being "commercially" appealing. I still really like the images I shoot, and am very happy with those I've shared. Obviously if I didn't like the subject, I wouldn't shoot it. I shot an image of vines in the front of a wall of graffiti, that on this forum had some very positive feedback (thank you very much!). I really like the shot, personally, and my girlfriend really likes it too, but I could capture a photograph of a pebble on a beach and she'd love it (or claim to, at least).

But I often wonder, much in the way that women, apparently, dress for other women, are we shooting for other photographers to gain their respect? I *LOVE* so much of the images that I see on this forum, but I wonder if much of it is appealing to the mainstream? Is the market for the kind of images many of us shoot, limited? And if so, does it even matter? I'm interested in who many of you shoot for. Is it just for yourself, or do you take photographs with the potential of selling that image in mind? I'd be interested to read the opinions of those who are, like me, making photographs for a hobby as opposed to those who are making a living from their art.

I only ask this because my recent photo of the tree roots (which I'm really happy with and Harley gave me positive feedback of - thanks Harley!) had me thinking if it's just me who'd appreciate an image of tree roots (obviously I think there's more to it than a bunch of tree roots!) or if an image that like would be commercially viable. Or if people would think "it's a bunch of tree roots.. so what?".

Sorry, I'm a bit insecure, it seems. But I do like what I shoot and what I've printed - I'd just hope that others would too, otherwise it's pointless.

Perhaps I can summarise this question as "Who buys your photographs?".

Cheers and seasons greetings!

Re: Do we shoot for other photographers?

I don' t make an effort to sell photos, so I don't have people buying them. (Selling is very low priority, since I do this for fun/learning/creative itch)

It seems most of the long dead photographers have an audience of photographer types like us. Older living photographers who aren't part of the contemporary scene have an audience of mostly photographers. In aspiring to gain (or surpass) their skills or abilities, we also look to the same audience. It's the only audience that knows the same language. Obscure things like platinum printing, carbon printing, glass plates, pictorialism, expired polaroids, we can find people here that know the same language.

If we were doing contemporary strobe+dslr creative stuff, a normal audience might see a boring perfectly lit scene, and a "strobist" inspired audience of photographers might see masterful use of lighting, or a lightstand in the corner of the photo that shouldn't be there.

I do enjoy seeing a nice image here and providing some feedback, and likewise participating by sharing an image. It is a helpful means to "up my game" by working with others. You don't easily get to be an excellent athlete all by your self, you need to do things with others that provides challenge from time to time. The print exchange is another example of the fun of sharing while also encouraging a high quality of printing craftsmanship.

While that's all nice, photography is ultimately something I do for myself. I do enjoy some help and participation along the way, but that's not the final goal or primary way of doing things. Most of my photography is for myself, and once in a while I do something nice for a family member or friend with photography since they all put up with me.

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    I'd be interested to read the opinions of those who are, like me, making photographs for a hobby as opposed to those who are making a living from their art.
    Many of your questions do not apply to the hobbyist, they apply more to the professional artist or commercial photographer.
    ie: do you take photographs with the potential of selling that image in mind?, what collectors want, "commercially" appealing"
    Is the market for the kind of images many of us shoot, limited?
    A hobbyist should be making images for himself, but quite often tries to show off ( the last bit applies to many professionals as well )

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    But I often wonder, much in the way that women, apparently, dress for other women, are we shooting for other photographers to gain their respect? I *LOVE* so much of the images that I see on this forum, but I wonder if much of it is appealing to the mainstream? Is the market for the kind of images many of us shoot, limited? And if so, does it even matter? I'm interested in who many of you shoot for. Is it just for yourself, or do you take photographs with the potential of selling that image in mind? I'd be interested to read the opinions of those who are, like me, making photographs for a hobby as opposed to those who are making a living from their art.

I only ask this because my recent photo of the tree roots (which I'm really happy with and Harley gave me positive feedback of - thanks Harley!) had me thinking if it's just me who'd appreciate an image of tree roots (obviously I think there's more to it than a bunch of tree roots!) or if an image that like would be commercially viable. Or if people would think "it's a bunch of tree roots.. so what?".
    As a woman, I'll admit that we do sometimes (frequently?) dress to impress other women. Mostly because we pretty much know that most guys won't be able to tell the difference between a pencil skirt and an A-line - they have their own priorities in evaluating our appearance. We sorta like to show off that we can be stylish and look good and be creative (at least those of us old enough to know whether or not to wear something fad-ish).
    In some ways, I do think that's similar to what photographers shoot and show to other photographers. In a way, we're saying, "See, I can take a picture of a river/mountain/flower/ just as well and with my own stamp on it." Like some women wear an outfit that's exactly like the one in the magazine, some photographers will make a shot just like one they've seen. Others in both groups will do their own things with the same basic tools.

I didn't check out your tree roots, yet, but I've shot roots, too. It's one of my favorites so far on 4x5. I actually got busted on at a photo club meeting because of it. The person said, "Only Bethe would go to Ohiopyle and take pictures of tree roots and rocks instead of waterfalls."

As for commercially viable - I think every image has a chance of being liked by someone. Trying to predict how many and who they are is not nearly so simple. I shoot what I like, primarily for me. If someone likes one of my prints and wants to buy it, great. But I don't really count on that happening much.

I agree with just about everything said above. Personally, I shoot for the joy of doing it. Period. I have no audience, so there is no "other" person or group for me to consider when taking photographs. When I am unhappy with my work, I am unhappy with it regardless of any external praise. And when I'm happy with my images, no amount of praise makes me like them any more, and no amount of criticism makes me like them any less.

For example, tonight I took some 4x5 shots of the inside of my refrigerator. Why? Partly because I'd never done it before, partly as a document of what was there. Is it art? Nope. Will it impress other photographers? Most certainly not. But I had fun doing it and that's what matters to me.

Jonathan

P.S. Pencil skirt? A-line? You're speaking a foreign language there, Bethe!

I sell some images just last last week sold one for $400 (and have achieved the magical $1,000 mark albeit framed), Do i shoot to sell no ,I like others shoot as a hobby , But i am noting what is selling what people like what people don't ,More from the point of view as to what to frame and what not to . Do i shoot for other Photographers again no !!Because they they will never buy my images but i do enjoy feedback from my peers . So in conclusion i shoot for myself but with a lean to commercial sense . Cheers Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Tarbert View Post
    I sell some images just last last week sold one for $400 (and have achieved the magical $1,000 mark albeit framed), Do i shoot to sell no ,I like others shoot as a hobby , But i am noting what is selling what people like what people don't ,More from the point of view as to what to frame and what not to . Do i shoot for other Photographers again no !!Because they they will never buy my images but i do enjoy feedback from my peers . So in conclusion i shoot for myself but with a lean to commercial sense . Cheers Gary
    Oddly enough, only one of my sales (ok, we're talking 1 of about 6) was to a non-photographer. The others are all to photographers.

When I am unhappy with my work, I am unhappy with it regardless of any external praise. And when I'm happy with my images, no amount of praise makes me like them any more, and no amount of criticism makes me like them any less.
    Jonathan - I agree completely.

"We" shouldn't be making photographs for anyone other than "us". "I" only make photographs for "me", which is what makes "me" a fine art photographer/printer, whose prints are either priceless or worthless, depending on "your" point of view.

BTW, not that my taste matters much to you or anyone else (nor should it), but I like your roots plenty.

Yeah, the only photographer I try to impress is me. And I fail far more often than I succeed.

If I defined my photography by what other photographers thought, I'd be suicidal.

Rick "who isn't really trying for impressiveness in any case" Denney

It seems to me that the responses are true, but mostly slightly incomplete. I agree that I, and I believe virtually all of us who are not making our living as photographers, do make images for ourselves. But the very popularity of the "Post Your Images Of..." threads in this forum, and the websites that many of the more accomplished photographers among us maintain, prove that while we don't "shoot for other photographers" we certainly like to show our work and see what others have to say.