Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weather in Yosemite

Weather in Yosemite

Does anybody know if Yosemite is getting any significant snowfall yet? I've looked at the Yosemite webcam and it doesn't look like their getting much snow.I'm going in May and I'm hopng the waterfalls are going to be full.I'm taking somone who has never been there before so I would like for her to see Yosemite in full bloom.

Re: Weather in Yosemite

We have had one significant storm already this winter, which is already more than last years very dry winter. In May even in a dry year you will have water flowing on all of the falls, so i would worry too much about it.

Drew Wiley

The weather in general in Calif has been shizophrenic. At the moment colder and wetter than "normal", but that's no indication of what will happen next month. But with regard to
    the falls, they tap into much more significant snow levels at higher elevations. Snow conditions in the Valley itself won't tell you much. And there's already plenty up there. I
    can even see the substantial snowpack from our hills around here, a 150 miles away. Just
    go, you won't be disappointed. But if I were you, I'd also do some touring of the wildflower
    country below Yosemite proper. On a good year, the poppies further down the Merced
    River can be incredible. And everyone need to know what a Mariposa lily looks like. Mark
    Twain would never forgive you if you didn't.

Thanks.

Drew,

Would you suggest some spots to see said flowers?

R

Saratoga, CA

In mid May, the Dogwoods in the valley are in bloom.
    Mr.Gale

Drew Wiley

Just spend some time downhill from Yosemite. Depending on the year, the wildflower shows
    begin at low elevation around the end of Feb, with March often being the most spectacular
    in the lower canyons, extending thru April. It's amazing just how many people zoom thru
    the lower "Mother Lode" hill country trying to get to Yosemite Valley. I'd aim for the backroads to the southwest of the Park, Mariposa area in general, also lower Merced Riv
    canyon. My gosh, the famous bearded photographers of the past spent plenty of time
    down there, and didn't even use color film. The key is ... wander. Don't go for the stereotypical tourist spots. The primary north/south link is Hwy 49. Head south from Sonora or from Coulterville, across the Bagby grade (enjoy the curves), down thru Mariposa, etc. But I won't give away my favorite place - not that I'm trying to monopolize
    them. I just like the solitude with endless views and miles of wildflowers in the foreground
    in March. Plenty of rock formations great rock formations too, and ruins of the Gold Rush.

Preston Birdwell

Our small group of intrepid LFers, who also happen to be members of our forum, make a trip to Yosemite in early May. Our experience has been that the falls are running quite well (although this past May, they were lower than normal) and the early leaves are very luminous. The Dogwood bloom can vary, of course, but we usually manage to find nice ones--you just have to wander around.

The Merced Canyon between the Park and Mariposa can be be spectacular, as Drew said. Also, the ghost forest from the Big Meadow fire can be very intriguing.

Drew: It's more correctly "Mariposa Tulip". Full disclosure: I too made the same mistake for years. They are one of my all-time favorite flowers.

To the OP: Since you are planning to go in May, it's a good idea to plan your trip so that you go before Mother's Day weekend. From then on, the Valley is packed.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I just got back from a day trip to Yosemite. Today it was 35 degrees and we got snow, rain, hail and sun. Some of the best weather I have ever seen. I only took digital as my girlfriend and I had limited time. It was her first visit to the park and the first time to ever see it snow. What a day! Last year I was in the park in April or march when the valley got 6 feet! Go and do not worry about the weather. It is amazing!

Good to know you got her up there, Jim!

Printing a couple carbons tonight. Already made my first mistake of the evening -- have the negative upside down in the one exposing right now. Oh well, it will be not be sharp, but I'll get a good idea on the exposure! (a 4x10 from our redwood adventures.

And as far as wondering about the weather and the falls in May, I like the old Japanese saying, "Tomorrow's wind blows tomorrow. or even, "Climate is something one has, weather is what one gets!