Thread: X-Rite 810 densitometer

X-Rite 810 densitometer

Can anyone tell me whether this instrument billed as a "colour densitometer", will successfully measure black and white film and, if so, how ? Thanks.

X-Rite 810 densitometer

Do a google search on X-Rite 810 densitometer and you'll find a copy of the manual on the X-rite webpage. A colour densitometer works just fine for B&W film if it's a transmission model. From glancing at the manual the 810 is both a transmission and reflection. Best of both worlds I guess. Film and prints.

I have a relatively ancient colour densitometer and it handles B&W just fine.

X-Rite 810 densitometer

Typically Xrite color densitometers will have a "visual" channel. This will read transmission density of black and white materials. The added benefit of a color densitometer is that it does have the capability of reading a "blue" channel which will be more indicative of density when one uses staining developers in the Pyro class.

X-Rite 810 densitometer

Excellent machine for b&w or color. You'll need calibration standards for it, a film for transmission, and a enameled metal plate for reflection. Not cheap if you have to buy them new.

X-Rite 810 densitometer

> Excellent machine for b&w or color. You'll need calibration standards for it, a film for transmission, and a enameled metal plate for reflection. Not cheap if you have to buy them new.

>--Conrad Hoffman, 2004-04-11 14:57:44

Don't bother with the above post's suggestions. Just buy a transmission and reflective step wedge to use as calibration standards from here:

http://www.stouffer.net/

I only use my 810 for B/W work, it is a great machine.

X-Rite 810 densitometer

I have an 810 which I use for B&W work. It has a "visual" channel setting as mentioned in previous post. This setting combines the three color channels and is quite suitable for B&W. Even if you are doing B&W work, the color channels can come in handy if you are interested in examining the effects of staining developers since most of them do not have a neutral color..

The reflective mode is great for testing papers.

Note that the 810 has a 4mm aperture and X-Rite does not offer anything smaller for this model. I thought this might be too big for evaluating small areas of a negative so I constructed some smaller apertures. They calibrate fine but I found it did not make as much difference as I expected and currently use the standard 4mm aperture for all LF work.

For transmission calibration, I agree with Jon that the less expensive Stouffer step wedge is adequate. I've seen more than a dozen of the "uncalibrated" versions (you can pay extra for a calibrated Stouffer step wedge) be within log 0.02 density from one end to the other when compared to a calibrated reference. Besides, you'll probably get plenty of use out the the Stouffer wedge for other things like testing film and paper.