Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strategy for camera protection: TSA will not check bags with declared guns in them

Re: Pack a gun and TSA will take care of your stuff

Now that I actually read the article - buy a cheap starter pistol probably is better than risking a much more valuable real gun, however carefully it's tracked, if one has no other desire to take it. Interesting idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    What's to prevent you from simply claiming that you have a firearm in your baggage? And put in a gun-shaped piece of aluminum foil for the xray machine operators to see?
    That is actually a bad idea..... you will freak out some low paid TSA worker and cause yourself alot of greif...If you travel with a firearm read the following.....

I have a Florida permit to carry and i used to be law-enforcement..."I dont leave home without it" I always get royal treatment with the luggage.... Years ago i was even asked to carry on the airplane ...and the pilot would keep it for me....nice guy ... he had a conceal carry also... to this day i cant fly into California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Guam, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, New York City, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, Wisconsin, American Samoa, Illinois, N. Mariana Islands.... they dont have agreements with Florida...... its changing day by day

Please i am not saying this to incite riots on LF.... I really respect other opinons....

This information is intended for photographers that fly and "carry" into airport. I suspect there are a few of us....

also note 1.. it helps to have gun disassembled.(Rendered "SAFE" so TSA inspector does not shot him or herself).. 2 ..you have to call ahead and get special instructions from the airline. (some dont take weapons) 3.. a locked case in luggage with key available for TSA (they will inspect it and record the serial number) 4... keep your CC permit handy.... you will need to display it. Different states even different locals have different laws so bone up where you are going.... i actually put it in a Pelican with my camera ... so both are safe......

Please dont turn this into something its not..... its just put forth as information only ...not opinion.....

Drew Wiley

I'd be worried about some baggage handler stealing it, then it ending up in some crime
    scenario with serious implications. Perfectly plausible around here. All my camera gear goes
    into a carry-on, and anything else of real value. I don't even want the tripod going thru
    check-in. Stuff disappears. This pretty much limits me to 4x5 on flights, rather than my
    preferred 8x10 system, but it's better than losing rare equip, having it damaged, or going
    through even more hassles just trying to board a flight.

TSA makes sure that does not happen..... it would be on them if it turns up missing. My locked Pelican has a sticker that notifies of TSA special attention needed.... different airlines have different ways of notifying TSA of special handling needed. There is a movement for private security companies at airports. Sanford intl. in Orlando is moving towards privatizing security. They all have different ways to handle with competence any special security needs luggage.

Those risks are what make the starter pistol a good idea. It cannot be used as a weapon--it has a solid barrel. I doubt that it is covered at all by state concealed-carry laws.

The reason the TSA requires it to be checked and declared is because it looks real.

Rick "who has not had the problem with theft reported by many others" Denney

Re: Strategy for camera protection: TSA will not check bags with declared guns iin th

I decided to tone down the title a bit. People were drawing the wrong conclusions.

Rick "it's not really about guns" Denney

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    That is actually a bad idea..... you will freak out some low paid TSA worker and cause yourself alot of greif...If you travel with a firearm read the following.....

I have a Florida permit to carry and i used to be law-enforcement..."I dont leave home without it" I always get royal treatment with the luggage.... Years ago i was even asked to carry on the airplane ...and the pilot would keep it for me....nice guy ... he had a conceal carry also... to this day i cant fly into California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Guam, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, New York City, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, Wisconsin, American Samoa, Illinois, N. Mariana Islands.... they dont have agreements with Florida...... its changing day by day

Please i am not saying this to incite riots on LF.... I really respect other opinons....
    That's for concealed carry with a real firearm. I'm using the concept of an aluminum foil sillouette and checking it into TSA, so that a package that's declared to have a gun in it looks like it has a gun in it. Honestly, if it's a "bad" idea to have the silloutte of a handgun in your luggage, is a starter pistol better?

The times that someone gets in trouble with the TSA and violates federal laws is when a person attempts to carry the firearm onto the airplane in carry-on luggage, not checking it through TSA in the luggage.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Strategy for camera protection: TSA will not check bags with declared guns in them

And the laws for concealed carry are different than for possession. You can in fact fly into most of those places and bring a firearm with you. You just can't carry it on you - you could arrive, take it to your destination in the case, go to a shooting range, go hunting etc. so you could also have a camera in the case with it.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Strategy for camera protection: TSA will not check bags with declared guns in the

When I first read about this it seemed like a great idea. Starter pistols get the same special treatment as guns but are legal to carry in all 50 states. But then I read a couple of articles about guns specifically being targeted by thieves at airports. Suggests this scheme could backfire. So to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    I'm using the concept of an aluminum foil sillouette and checking it into TSA, so that a package that's declared to have a gun in it looks like it has a gun in it. Honestly, if it's a "bad" idea to have the silloutte of a handgun in your luggage,
    ...and again, I will point out that there is no way that a cleverly shaped wad of aluminum foil "looks" like a gun when it goes through the xray machine. The machine itself knows the difference between aluminum and steel! No competent xray technician would confuse the two...certainly not the TSA folks.