Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strategy for camera protection: TSA will not check bags with declared guns in them

Strategy for camera protection: TSA will not check bags with declared guns in them

Re: Pack a gun and TSA will take care of your stuff

Hey, pretty good idea.
    Buy a $15 starter pistol, and never worry again about lost or stolen luggage.

It's true. I've traveled with firearms many times and you're asked to certify that the weapon is safe and unloaded. The person at the check-in desk generally doesn't want to see the weapon. I've never been asked to open a gun case. Once you have done that, your bag gets tagged with a special tag that denotes a weapon inside.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

What's to prevent you from simply claiming that you have a firearm in your baggage? And put in a gun-shaped piece of aluminum foil for the xray machine operators to see?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    What's to prevent you from simply claiming that you have a firearm in your baggage? And put in a gun-shaped piece of aluminum foil for the xray machine operators to see?
    Probably nothing. I don't think anybody's particularly concerned with no guns present where they took precautions.

I get what you're asking...just wanted to point out that the xray machine itself knows the difference between aluminum foil and steel. Obviously, so too does the operator.

Pack a gun and TSA will take care of your stuff

Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Nothing's wrong with the majority of Americans Ross. However, just like Australians(I have some family in Australia btw), we here in America have a certain part of the population that are deemed "looney" ...

Lets keep this thread from getting deleted, the discussion was talking about using a "loophole" to keep our camera gear safe during travel.

What I'd like to know: If traveling to int'l destinations, is there a "workaround" like this for foreign countries by chance?
    Even those countries that allow firearms to be owned by their own citizens?

-Dan

Peter

Here is a Wiki page that talks about traveling with a gun, both domestically and internationally...
    http://www.wikihow.com/Travel-on-Airplanes-With-a-Gun

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    Nothing's wrong with the majority of Americans Ross. However, just like Australians(I have some family in Australia btw), we here in America have a certain part of the population that are deemed "looney" ...

Lets keep this thread from getting deleted, the discussion was talking about using a "loophole" to keep our camera gear safe during travel.

What I'd like to know: If traveling to int'l destinations, is there a "workaround" like this for foreign countries by chance?
    Even those countries that allow firearms to be owned by their own citizens?

-Dan
    International is another issue of course. I know it's POSSIBLE to some countries, because hunting groups do it, primarily with long guns, pretty regularly to some countries but the particulars vary a lot more and I'd think they'd be a lot more likely to inspect the contents and a lot more likely to look askance at just sneaking in camera gear.

This is an idea that had not occurred to me though. Like many southerners I grew up always owning guns and still do. It wouldn't have occurred to me to travel with one just to include my camera gear in the package, but if I wanted to do so, it would be easily done.