Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crown Graphic, Speed Graphic: focal plane shutter...

Re: Crown Graphic, Speed Graphic: focal plane shutter...

Hi premortho,

I saw your recommendation for 'Graphic and Graflex Photography.' Thanks, and I just bought a 1947 8th printing. I can't wait!

Buying my first 4x5 Press camera, got me into LF and camera collecting.

I find them to be excellent cameras and the the Century's are so lightweight.

Quote Originally Posted by premortho View Post
    I've only had three Graphics in my whole life. My first was a pre-Anniversary, a gift from my grandfather, in 1947. The second was a 3.25X4.25 RB Graflex that I bought in Detroit, because I'd left my Speeder at home in California. My current one, an Anniversary with Grafloc back. I had to buy that one because some vandals burned my house down, cameras within, of course. In my opinion, the Speed is the most versatile hand held camera ever made. I don't think it's too heavy, and I'm 75 years old. Nice negative size, good rangefinder, good viewfinder with parallax adjustments speedfinder with parallax adjustments, and heavy enough to make hand held exposures possible down to 1/10th second. And no wastage of film, like with rollfilm cameras. You just gotta learn how to get the best out of it. I use pan film, ortho film and paper negatives in mine. I prefer the Anniversary Model for two important reasons. First, because lensboards are very easy to make, and second because of the better shutter speeds available on this, and previous models. If you buy one, be sure to get a copy of Morgan & Lester's book, "Graphic and Graflex Photography".
    Tin Can

$400 is too much to spend for a Crown, you can get a Speed with a good lens for around $250 if you look, crowns can be a bit less expensive at around $200.

If you only use lenses in shutter, a Speeder has one advantage: consistent speeds of 1/500th and 1/1000th. Otherwise go with a Crown.
    Peter Y.

What Peter says is correct. If you will never use a Petzval lens, or a landscape achromat, or other lenses in barrel mount, you don't need a Speeder. And with modern high speed film, a shutter speed of 1/250th or1/300th is plenty fast enough. I'm not as impressed as others are with Pacemaker Speed Graphics, or Super Graphics. The earlier models have many more speeds available on the focal plane shutter than the later ones do. Likewise, earlier front shutters that are not synched usually have solenoid shutter trippers, which work even better than cable releases, assuming you have the flash attachment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter York View Post
    If you only use lenses in shutter, a Speeder has one advantage: consistent speeds of 1/500th and 1/1000th. Otherwise go with a Crown.

Crowns have really gone up in price and $400.00 isn't bad for a clean late model with Xenar and working rangefinder and light. Just check Ebay prices.

The 135mm lens is nice for environmental portraits but not for close ups. Do what I did with my Crown. I added an inexpensive 210mm Caltar lens (rebadged Rodenstock Geronar). These lenses have sold for less than $100.00 on Ebay lately. It even folds up into the camera like the 135mm Xenar. I also added an extra set of infinity stops for the 210. Of course I can't use the rangefinder for the 210 but I don't shoot 4x5 hand held anyway. That's what my Hasselblad is for!

One more thing. If you need a tripod pick up an old used Tilt-all for less than $100.00. I paid $75.00 for mine and it works great.