Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Lens Cleaning Tissue

Kodak Lens Cleaning Tissue

Hello Folks,

For decades I've been using Kodak lens cleaning tissues (Kodak lens cleaning paper) but sadly my stash will soon be exhausted.

I've read on dpreview that Tiffen sells the identical product now, though I'm not sure that is correct.

What do folks recommend as an equivalent replacement for KLCP?

Thanks,

Don

Octogenarian

Re: Kodak Lens Cleaning Tissue

A microfiber cloth designed for cleaning lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    A microfiber cloth designed for cleaning lenses.
    I was waiting for micro fiber suggestion - thanks, but my question was about lens cleaning tissue.

Don

Octogenarian

Don,

You stated that you have been using KLCT for decades and it's no longer available.

You asked what folks recommend as a replacement.

I stated my recommendation.

Time to move up to 21st century materials.

I *had* a stash of Kodak's lens cleaning paper myself, which I exhausted unfortunately. A good friend of mine recommended that I try cotton balls, using in conjunction with 91%(minimum) isopropyl alcohol as the cleaning agent(if you need to get it wet).

Well I've been using this combination for almost a year now, and its worked very well. The cotton balls are disposable(so no picking up dust over extended amounts of time like microfiber cloths do, at least in my experience) and usually I can just use (1) to clean a lens effectively.

I use the above method in conjunction with a Giottos "Rocket Blower" to blow away any cotton fibers left after cleaning. 95% of the time, results are pretty much spotless

-Dan

Kimwipes and pancro.

I have a two packets sitting beside me as I write this. One of them is labeled "Kodak lens cleaning paper" on the front, while the back says "Kodak licensed product" and "Made in the USA by The Tiffen Company". The other is labeled "Tiffen lens cleaning paper" on the front, and the back says "Made in the USA by The Tiffen Company".

Other than the color of the outer sleeve being different (gray vs yellow) and the labeling being slightly changed, these appear to be the same product and packaging. So if you've been satisfied with the Kodak product, my first suggestion would be to try the Tiffen-labeled version.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I have a two packets sitting beside me as I write this. One of them is labeled "Kodak lens cleaning paper" on the front, while the back says "Kodak licensed product" and "Made in the USA by The Tiffen Company". The other is labeled "Tiffen lens cleaning paper" on the front, and the back says "Made in the USA by The Tiffen Company".

Other than the color of the outer sleeve being different (gray vs yellow) and the labeling being slightly changed, these appear to be the same product and packaging. So if you've been satisfied with the Kodak product, my first suggestion would be to try the Tiffen-labeled version.
    Thanks Oren. Your observations about source of manufacturer echo others experiences regarding Tiffen though my remaining stock of KLCP is labeled made by EK.

I just placed 10 packs of the Tiffen product in my Amazon cart.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Don,

You stated that you have been using KLCT for decades and it's no longer available.

You asked what folks recommend as a replacement.

I stated my recommendation.

Time to move up to 21st century materials.
    Since the micro-fiber clothes aren't regarded as disposable I don't feel they are a replacement for KLCP.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Thanks Oren. Your observations about source of manufacturer echo others experiences regarding Tiffen though my remaining stock of KLCP is labeled made by EK.
    It's certainly possible that the product changed between when it was labeled "made by EK" and when it became a licensed product. I've been using the stuff for decades myself and haven't noticed anything, but I could easily have overlooked subtle incremental changes since I've been buying one or two packets at a time on an ongoing basis. To be on the safe side you might try just a packet or two initially to verify that it's still OK for you.