Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Flying with sheet film

Hopelessly Lost

Re: Flying with sheet film

I have been shooting on assignment here in Morocco for the last 8 days and had to drag 350 sheets of Ektar 100 through security. I ended up putting it through the machines but one tip I will give is to put it on the belt well after your camera case since they always end up scanning my cameras multiple times as all the lenses and metal and weird shapes get their attention. That way, the film isn't being zapped repeatedly and instead just once. Also, I always print out and laminate a small page that says something to the extent of 'I am a professional photographer and this film is part of my job. Please, do not open as it will ruin them' and have it in every language I will come across for the trip I'm on (English, French and Arabic this time). You can also print the page from the TSA's website that states you are allowed a hand inspection of film of any speed if you like. That has saved me more than a few times as the TSA screeners usually don't know the rules it seems like.
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

You can have film hand inspected instead of scanned, especially when flying domestically. In the post above, Hollis refers to the TSA website page regarding hand inspection of film. That page seems to have disappeared recently.

While most TSA supervisors know the procedure, many TSA agents are not familiar and deny inspection or make things difficult. I always travel with a copy of the TSA web site information post entitled: "Traveling with Film". I've found find that the level of co-operation from TSA agents elevates magically when the agent reads this document.

I am attaching below an image file copy of my printout of the original "Traveling with Film" page previously found on the TSA website. (The url address of this page, shown at the top of the printout, now produces a "page not found error".) Regardless, this is the original TSA published info.

The image below (jpeg file format) can be saved (right click, save image) to your computer and printed out on 8.5" x 11" paper. Carry it with your film and ask for hand inspection. If the TSA agent refuses, show the "Traveling with Film" document and, if necessary, ask for a supervisor to review it.

Typically a hand inspection amounts to a simple inspection of your film holders or boxes (without opening) and often a swabbing to detect explosives. It helps a great deal if your film boxes are factory sealed. Nevertheless, I've always succeeded having them hand inspect - just be sure to allow time before your flight in case the going is slow !

Showing this printed TSA information has helped me numerous times when requesting inspection. I hope this will be helpful to others.

As to foreign travel, that's another story, but often, a supervisor will listen to reason. Under no circumstances should you allow film to be packed in checked luggage. It will almost certainly be x-rayed.

I know just enough to be dangerous !

Hmm... Flying with Sheet Film...

Might work if you hold a sheet in each hand and flap really fast?
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Hopelessly Lost

This doc is what I have as well and it has worked for me time and time again. I even went to the trouble of 'highlighting' the important parts in photoshop to make sure nothing was misunderstood.
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

I've just arrived back from my trip to South America via The West Indies. I can categorically say that at all the borders I crossed (including my own in the UK) you don't have a snowflakes chance in hell of having sheet film just hand checked. Picture the scenario 'could you please hand check my film boxes, oh and by the way you're not allowed to open them either!'.
    Even the laziest security officer in the most lax of countries isn't going to put up with that. I don't know whether the TSA leaflet works in the US,but outside of the States no one has ever heard of the TSA anyway and to be honest I can't really believe it works there either for sheet film.
    Anyway I quit worrying about it all fairly quickly, there being nothing I could do about it and am off to have my film developed this week.

Going to Normandy on Thursday. We'll see. Got the page copied and the business card for my US Senator stapled to the top corner. Thanks to everyone for their help and input.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC0164.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	90591

Drew Wiley

I upped the ante a bit and just traveled with TMY (asa 400), both in sheets and 35mm. Got TSA X-rayed three times (domestic), right in my carry-on, and after dev, absolutetly no indication of elevated fog compared to ordinary circumstances.
    I don't know if a senator's card is going to help. A particularly noxious senator recently got thrown off a flight due to hassling
    a TSA agent!

There's a lot of good advice here. Mostly I label the film, never put it in checked baggage obviously, and I put it in a tray separate from my cameras and lenses since as others have mentioned, these items may receive more attention and more scans.

I've never had a problem sending Portra 160 through multiple carryon screenings, though I'm knocking on wood when I say that since I'm looking at 300 sheets that just came back from Bangladesh (through Istanbul, Frankfurt and Newark).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails film.JPG  

No real problems. Carried 5X7 and lenses in an old Zone VI bag. Film got scanned twice times coming back by the French. The TSA always was willing to hand-check, at least at Tyler and Houston. My Tarzan-level French wasn't good enough at CDG Airport. Will start to see film in a couple of days.

I took my F64 pack and never loaded it up. Just used the little Zone VI bag. Very glad I put my old rubber boots in. They worked in the snow and on the beach around the island. Construction scaffolding everywhere but I just shot other places or climbed up and used it. Tourist pack was pretty low, mostly asians. I gave away a lot of Texas Quarters to kids.

When I was in grade school I wrote an essay and did some research for a paper on Mont St Michele. Was always fascinated and very glad to finally visit.

Name:	IMG_5697.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	91772 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5834.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	91773 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5889.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	91774

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread! You were all very helpful.

Name:	IMG_5660.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	91775 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5664.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	91776