Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A backpack for my brand new Tachihara?

Drew Wiley

Re: A backpack for my brand new Tachihara?

I'll have to check with some of my friends up at Lawrence Lab to see if they've captured
    any gravitrons yet. The best I've been able to do so far is at the English Dept at UC, where they have some penned participles, but I've already got some of those burrowing
    in my front lawn.

I took the cheap way out. I went to Goodwill and found the perfect carry-on suitcase with wheels. It's compact, it holds my 4x5 plus a Nikon FM with two short lenses, five darkslides, and other crap. Best of all, it set me back a whopping $7.00. Oh, yes, I have a huge LowePro backpack which weighs over a ton even when empty.

Carry on suitcases will work in places they were designed to work, however if you have to go over terrain rougher than asphalt you will expend a lot of energy dragging that suitcase and a lot of vibration will be transmitted directly to the camera.

I love my Photobackpacker for my Chmonix 4x5. I also use it for weekend camping. The front opening is something I've been looking for, and this one is really nice. It is very roomy and the detachable side pockets give you even more room.

+1 for the f64 packs. I find the Lowe packs are great for my twin fixed lens MF camera setup but too deep and heavy at the larger sizes for 4x5 LF view camera.

you can get a lightware mf case and throw it in any backpack.

My LF kit lives permanently in a Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW, I carry 4-5 lenses on boards, 6 holders and a 6x12 back, my 45N-2, lots of step up rings, 6 x 77mm filters in pairs in 3 B&W cases, small darkcloth, loupe, Gossen Digisix meter, tripod, etc :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...rch=yes&sts=ta

After I made the shot in the scene attached, I did over 30MPH on my snowboard...:-)

Some years ago I bought the LowePro Mini Trekker classic. It carries a 4x5 field camera, three lenses, a gossen light meter, dark cloth,, notebook and a few other tidbits. I can carry a few film holders in the outer pocket but not six. The pack, completely loaded and ready to go weighs about fifteen pounds. I like this set up but, were I going to do it again, I'd get a proper day pack and the Photo Backpacker cases.

I think I posted a picture of my kit in this thread but it seems the photo has disappeared....there are some other ideas there too. Good luck.