Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New moderator - Rick Denney

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New moderator - Rick Denney

Rick Denney (rdenney) has agreed to be a moderator. Welcome aboard, Rick.

Re: New moderator - Rick Denney

Welcome Rick

bob who would never want the job of moderator.

It's good to see the widening of the pool of moderators. Welcome Rick.

How about some International moderators though not US based, one advantage is they would be from different time zones and have wider opinions as well there is a widely percieved bias.

Ian

This will test the theory that a good moderator does not need to be a good photographer.

I hope my inclusion in the ranks of the moderators is an implementation of the recently expressed opinion that we simply need more moderators. I also hope that it does not mean that people should be afraid to argue with me. Words are the stock in trade of any forum, despite that they are imperfect tools for discussing photography. Only by debate do we test our ideas and form new ones, and for me such debate is intellectually exhilarating. It's why many of us are here. But it only works if we adhere to some simple principles of civil discourse, which are sufficiently outlined in the few rules that govern this forum.

I also hope that if I stray over the line myself, the other moderators will treat me like anyone else and zap my posterior.

Rick "trying to figure out what these new buttons mean" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    This will test the theory that a good moderator does not need to be a good photographer.

I hope my inclusion in the ranks of the moderators is an implementation of the recently expressed opinion that we simply need more moderators. I also hope that it does not mean that people should be afraid to argue with me. Words are the stock in trade of any forum, despite that they are imperfect tools for discussing photography. Only by debate do we test our ideas and form new ones, and for me such debate is intellectually exhilarating. It's why many of us are here. But it only works if we adhere to some simple principles of civil discourse, which are sufficiently outlined in the few rules that govern this forum.

I also hope that if I stray over the line myself, the other moderators will treat me like anyone else and zap my posterior.

Rick "trying to figure out what these new buttons mean" Denney
    Rick, it isn't easy to argue with you. You insist on discussing.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Don't worry, all you need is a samurai sword, a guillotine, a barber shop, and twitchy fingers for the "delete" button!

Of course I jest, really, I do! ...

-- Brian "ducking, turtle-ing, looking like a ZZ Top refugee, and changing Rick's keyboard" Miller
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Rick,
    I recently came upon your website while researching something about Kiev cameras. Several of the images really stuck with me, especially Juneau Waterfront and Salisbury Ceiling. I appreciate that you see with a "large format eye" even when working with a smaller format. Thank you for taking on the moderator role. This already great Forum will be better for your guidance.
    Cheers,
    Bill Peters

Quote Originally Posted by Photomagica View Post
    Rick,
    I recently came upon your website while researching something about Kiev cameras. Several of the images really stuck with me, especially Juneau Waterfront and Salisbury Ceiling. I appreciate that you see with a "large format eye" even when working with a smaller format. Thank you for taking on the moderator role. This already great Forum will be better for your guidance.
    Cheers,
    Bill Peters
    Bill, thanks. Often, I feel as though my own skills are vastly overshadowed by many here, but I am encouraged when one or two of my images makes an impression on other photographers.

Rick "appreciative" Denney

lab black

Rick,
    Anyone who knows the difference between an Eb and a Bb Tuba has got all it takes to do a great job. Congratulations.
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

Quote Originally Posted by lab black View Post
    Rick,
    Anyone who knows the difference between an Eb and a Bb Tuba has got all it takes to do a great job. Congratulations.
    Thanks. I know the difference between those and C and F tubas, too. (Bb and F in my stable.)

But what those differences mean are the "digital versus film" arguments on the tuba forum, as can be confirmed by a couple of folks besides me who spend time here and there.

Rick "maybe you are one of them" Denney