Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Head Challenge!

Re: Tripod Head Challenge!

I have 2x 410s and a 405, I bought the 405 to put the 8x10 on but as it has a higher profile, the camera does not seem as stable on it as it does on the 410s.

I think that Manfrotto have been very conservative with the maximum weight that the 410 can take, I have had my 8x10 Peco Profia Monorail on them with full 39" rail and a 300mm f5.6 Symmar S with no problems whatsoever.

I do like the 410, thanks for the suggestions.

Manfrotto 808RC4.

I have both the 405 and 410. I put everything up to a Toyo 810M on them. Most frequently a 5x7 Linhof Technika. No problem. I'm in Flagstaff if you want to try them out.

IHS, A 5x7 Deardorff is my usual camera. I love the simplicity of the Ries heads. The A200 is about $200 & the A250 double tilt is $336. They fit on any tripod.(I've used several Ries, Gitzo etc). The large camera platform is a big addition to the solidity of the camera/head/tripod set-up. They are a lovely design, well- built, and very sturdy.

One more vote for the 410. I tend to do very precise framing, and the gear adjustments make it a lot easier.
    The head and quick release plates are very strong, I can carry my camera around on the tripod all day with no worries.
    Dave Hally

The specs you set out are essentially for a ballhead, but you want a 3-way head. My guess is that no 3-way head will weigh 2 pounds and support 15 pounds.

I'd get the Manfrotto 808 or the Manfrotto Super Pro Head. If your outfit is actually within the weight limit for the 410, go for it, but I wouldn't exceed the rated weight of a geared head.

I use the Manfrotto 329. As far as I know it is only available used and the most common version has a very unusual square QR plate unique to the 329. I'd avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by John O'Connell View Post

I use the Manfrotto 329. As far as I know it is only available used and the most common version has a very unusual square QR plate unique to the 329. I'd avoid it.
    The 329 head I have uses the newer RC plates, available everywhere, since Manfrotto supplanted the hex plates.
    Many of their heads now use the RC plates, so they should be cheap and ubiquitous.
    And, the 329 easily supports 15lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Evans View Post
    Manfrotto 808RC4.
    Bingo. $115 new right now at B&H. Less used.

Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian