Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wide Format Printers

Re: Wide Format Printers

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I have both canon and epson , both excellent choices, go with the best deal.
    Thanks!

Why do you have both?
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Just happened that way. I like to try different equipment for myself so I can gage if there is any real difference.

You will find that those with one type of gear will defend it to death and insist its the best, I do not fall into that camp... Same goes with processes to make prints.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedGraphicMan View Post
    Thanks!

Why do you have both?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I asked the same question to my friend who prints professionally. He has two or three wide format epsons and a canon. His canon is the widest and the newest (I helped install it ... was like taking delivery of a grand piano). His thoughts: 1) I shouldn't get a wide format printer. I agreed wholeheartedly, but my circumstances might be different from the OP's. 2) The canon clogs less, but wastes more paper and causes more headaches overall. So he leans toward epson if he has to pick one brand.

We have had the expected downtimes on both systems due to large printing loads on the machine.
    One of the biggest culprits is printing canvas on the same machine one prints photorag, seems to be an issue.
    But all in all I think great technology .

To the OP the most important question you want to be asking the vendors who sell the equipment is this.

Do you have a good technical support IE tech who will visit within a couple of working days to fix my machine??
    This is most critical IMHO to a purchase of one of the top 3 or 4 machines.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I asked the same question to my friend who prints professionally. He has two or three wide format epsons and a canon. His canon is the widest and the newest (I helped install it ... was like taking delivery of a grand piano). His thoughts: 1) I shouldn't get a wide format printer. I agreed wholeheartedly, but my circumstances might be different from the OP's. 2) The canon clogs less, but wastes more paper and causes more headaches overall. So he leans toward epson if he has to pick one brand.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Thanks to the bad influence of all present, I think I'm going to get the 3880 while the $300 rebate is still offered.

My 2400 is still a good printer for anyone with humidity, a non-stop workflow, or gluttony for punishment, so I'm going to see if I can get $200 for it on craigslist. If no one bites, I'll flush it out and maybe resurrect it someday as a piezography printer. Unless someone here can think of a better idea for the thing.

Thanks all!

What way do you run your printers?
    I.E. USB or over network via a print server?

Network would be the easiest for me, but I read that there can be some issues.

Any thoughts on the HP models?

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedGraphicMan View Post
    Thanks all!

What way do you run your printers?
    I.E. USB or over network via a print server?

Network would be the easiest for me, but I read that there can be some issues.
    We have a 7600 and a 9900.

7600 is directly on the network - the print queue will slooow downnn your printtinggg.

The 4400 is a USB connection on a workstation with a RIP. PITA to setup the RIP and their specs were off, and by an order of magnitude! The 99400s ink set colors are fantastic whether I print through the RIP or from PS/CS6 on the workstation. Speed of access to the printer is much better through the RIP but the learning curve - oh boy. Don't even ask me about Linearization. The speed of the printer is what it is, a true test would be the same 20x24 printed on each but I've never bothered.

Also worth remembering is a RIP ain't cheap.

cvt

+1 for starting with the Epson 3880. 17x22 is pretty big print plus this printer never seems to clog even with occasional use. Colors are great and the ink relatively cheap. Given the cost to buy and operate a much wider roll based printer you have to ask is it worth it or should you just send stuff out to print?

Speed Graphic Man

One thing that has creeped into my life is the fact that the 7800 that I own does not flip back and forth between matte black and photo black like our other machine the Cannon.

Make sure if you are purchasing that your new machine can flip back and forth on the fly .. the implications will become obvious if you have to start cleaning out hoses to switch inks for various papers..

Bob