Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need a new tripod and head for 5x7

Re: Need a new tripod and head for 5x7

I've got that exact lens and a set of Gitzo carbon fiber legs. Tried the ball heads...couple of them. Finally bought a number 4 pan head for 40.00 off ebay. It holds the Deardorff nice and still even with the 450. I see those on Ebay all the time. Nearly doubled the weight of my tripod though.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1168.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	85242 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1335.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	85243

I'm just screwing it on. Seemed to me that part of the problem was the QR plate. Gotta lotta contact now.

Well I got the Manfrotto 3039 yesterday. The head is pretty solid and I do like the three way adjustments. But I tried to mount the Canham on the hex plate and there just isn't enough metal around the mounting hole for the hex plate to grip. So I ended up mounting a kirk quick release clamp to the hex plate and then the camera to that. Now it's less steady than the ball head I have been using. I see Kirk has a QR clamp machined with a hex plate in the base, but it's almost twice what I paid for the head. Still might be worth the expense.

I really wish Manfrotto would make their heads with removable QR clamps so I could just but a Kirk or RRS clamp on there. Or just not use a QR system at all.

In the meantime I'll try the camera on the leveling plate of the tripod. It might be all I really need. Hopefully I'll get to take it out this weekend for a spin. But if it doesn't work this thread has given me a lot of good ideas to investigate. Thanks

Larry, you might need the same thing I'm looking for, a Manfrotto 030L plate.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...arge-Bed-Plate

I found one in Australia, but shipping is expensive.

Ari, that looks like it would work. Too bad Manfrotto doesn't seem to make them anymore, but they are on the Manfrotto site. http://www.manfrotto.com/100x100-large-bed-plate