Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Nepal and Everest Base Camp

Re: Nepal and Everest Base Camp

Quote Originally Posted by kansasjhawk View Post
    I successfully made it back from Nepal. In retrospect I think taking the 4x5 was more trouble than it was worth (unfortunately). I took 3 boxes of film and only took 6 pictures with the 4x5. I just didn't have the time (and in some cases energy) to devote to a big camera. I'll see how the pictures I did take come out.....I'm a bit worried about the X-ray machine at the domestic terminal in Kathmandu. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't ruin 3 boxes of film.
    That's unfortunate but I might have expected that would be the case. Usually treks move along and there is a minimum of time to setup and fuss with LF. As you point out exhaustion and lack of energy can contribute to fewer images. I think those who use 8X10 on treks (Jody Forster and a few others) are in very fine physical shape and that makes a whopping big difference.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sims View Post
    How many pounds did you lose?
    I lost at least ten pounds and I didn't need to lose any weight to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasjhawk View Post
    . . . I'm a bit worried about the X-ray machine at the domestic terminal in Kathmandu. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't ruin 3 boxes of film.
    If it eases your mind at all, I went through the terminal in Kathmandu with tons of film (35mm) and all the film was fine..
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Looks like my film is ok. I got 2 B&W negatives developed. One is completely fine....the other is a little suspicious, but I don't think it is from X-rays or else the other negative would be messed up as well. I'll scan them later tonight and post.

I learned my lesson,too. High altitude means small cameras. You'll get back with way more pictures and probably better ones. If I decided to shoot film on high altitude again, I would probably get a Mamiya 6 or 7. With a wide and a normal. And a gorillapod too.
    Sergio

My website

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    That's unfortunate but I might have expected that would be the case. Usually treks move along and there is a minimum of time to setup and fuss with LF. As you point out exhaustion and lack of energy can contribute to fewer images. I think those who use 8X10 on treks (Jody Forster and a few others) are in very fine physical shape and that makes a whopping big difference.
    I plan on going over there in a couple years to work on a project on the North Col side, will go for 3 months with a friend who guides Everest. My plan is to work from surrounding peaks and hit as high as camp 2 on Everest itself. Like you have mentioned, I would very much pass on a guided tour that calls the shots, I just could not get any real work done like that and would be better off toting my Xpan.

But acclimatization and fitness are far more important than gear choice. I live and work as a photographer full time at 8,100 feet, routinely haul my Chamonix 4x5 with 6 holders, a 6x12 roll film back and 5 lenses up to 14,000 feet, even in Winter....it makes all the difference when you do this day in, day out, kind of like David Breashears hauling up a "Lightweight" 23 pound Imax camera up Everest....it can be done so it is.

The attached shot was done on a steep ridge at 12,400 feet ( medium altitude ) on Wednesday, Chamonix 45N2, 180mm Apo-Symmar, 6x12 back....

It's all relative.....

Drew Wiley

More important, how much relatively high-altititude hiking did you do before going over there?

Drew Wiley

K25 - my nephew has summitted a number of difficult peaks around there, and I have friends who have done Everest. I've
    seen a helluva lot of pictures of perspectives that rarely if ever get published. Don't intend to go there myself, but if I did, I'd want some long lenses to home in on details, and would probably opt for exactly the same 4x5 setup I use in the High Sierra. Everyone seems to go for the predictable Everest shots; but there are some remarkable secondary peaks, some
    unnamed ones which are photographically stunning, esp above the branch trail toward Cho Oyu and Cholatse, and then all the waterfalls and rhododendron along the way futher down that would favor a view camera. You should have no trouble with a 4x5 kit given your experience. Do it while you can. I'm personally trying to cram in a few more long backpacks in the mtns with LF gear while I still can. Might be nice to have a smaller hand camera too just for memories and incidentals. A local camera porter shouldn't add too much to the overall expense, if you don't want to lug everything yourself, but they might be
    better for lugs to base locations rather than higher up. But as always, there's a slight roll of the dice per weather, illness,
    and political turmoil.

We should do a trek together Drew, you can borrow my 350 F/11 Apo-Tele-Xenar...;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    K25 - my nephew has summitted a number of difficult peaks around there, and I have friends who have done Everest. I've
    seen a helluva lot of pictures of perspectives that rarely if ever get published. Don't intend to go there myself, but if I did, I'd want some long lenses to home in on details, and would probably opt for exactly the same 4x5 setup I use in the High Sierra. Everyone seems to go for the predictable Everest shots; but there are some remarkable secondary peaks, some
    unnamed ones which are photographically stunning, esp above the branch trail toward Cho Oyu and Cholatse, and then all the waterfalls and rhododendron along the way futher down that would favor a view camera. You should have no trouble with a 4x5 kit given your experience. Do it while you can. I'm personally trying to cram in a few more long backpacks in the mtns with LF gear while I still can. Might be nice to have a smaller hand camera too just for memories and incidentals. A local camera porter shouldn't add too much to the overall expense, if you don't want to lug everything yourself, but they might be
    better for lugs to base locations rather than higher up. But as always, there's a slight roll of the dice per weather, illness,
    and political turmoil.

having two option nepal or india one is good for historical temple photographs