Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepal and Everest Base Camp

Nepal and Everest Base Camp

I'm going to Nepal and trekking to Everest Base Camp in February. I really want to take my 4x5 and am just looking for some tips for travelling to Nepal and photographing the Himalayas. I want to keep my gear to a minimum so any tips on what to bring and leave out would be helpful. I plan on shooting both E6 (Velvia 50) and black and white as well...probably ACROS. Camera wise I would be taking my Toyo 45A and lens wise all I have is a 90mm and 210mm.

Questions:
    1. How is the Nepal airport for film safety (I've heard the X-Ray machines there aren't film safe.)?
    2. The cold.....what should I worry about keeping warm at night? It will probably be down around 0 F at night while I'm there. How will the film holders handle that cold of weather?
    3. Filters: What should I take/buy and what should I leave? I've got Yellow and Red B&W contrast filters, a linear polarizer and a couple neutral grads (Hi-Tech for the Cokin system).

Any other tips are welcome as well.

Thanks.

Re: Nepal and Everest Base Camp

A real UV filter might be useful. There is a lot more UV light at high altitudes. Most cheap UV filters sold to protect lenses don't block very much UV. Do some research to find one that will block most of the UV light.

Hopefully, Bob Solomon (hope I spelled that right) will chine in with info on Heliopan's offerings.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

(Shrek)

4x5 film boxes (about 3) fit into my lead film bag I've been carrying around since the 80s. I've brought film in and out of Cuba (with antique x-ray machines) a couple of times now, no problem.

I have only worked around 20F, give or take a few degrees, with view cameras (4x5, 8x10), and a little colder at night. I kept all the equipment and holders outside (unheated garage, or in the car), rather than subject it to great temp fluctulations (risking condensation, etc). I only took my spot meter in to keep the battery warm (and it stayed in an inner pocket to keep it warm while photographing). If the holders get a little damp, I can imagine some problems with sticking when taken out side.

Zip Lock bags for the holders (q/liter size), would help if one has to bring the holders inside a heated room or space. Give them a chance to warm up before opening the bags -- might want to do it with your lens(es), too.

From what I have seen of images of Nepal, what may be nice is a Schneider convertible -- 150mm, then it converts to 265mm...instead of taking the 210mm. Sounds like you have filters covered.

This can be a serious trek so assess your condition and health carefully. If you are in reasonable shape from regular and fairly intensive exercise and without any medical infirmities you should be OK. I would assume you'll fly to Kathmandu then go east by 4 wheel drive to the Everest staging area - long painful drive. Everest base camp is around 17,000 ft. so take some time to reach that elevation. If you have a desk job you'll struggle at 17,000 ft.

My son was in Nepal last year and trekked around Dauligiri climbing up from the Cali Gandaki Valley to about 21,000 ft. The 16,000 to 21,000 ft range was very stressful. He elected to not bring his 4X5 but use a digital camera instead. His thought now is that the 4X5 would not be very productive. The cold, exhaustion and setup would be difficult. If you know your ability at high elevation OK. (OMG that's beautiful country though).

My experience is limited to the Colorado and Canadian rockies in winter. Even though I used Quickloads in near zero weather and hefted a TK45 I would really struggle at near zero temperatures and at elevations above 12,000 ft. (Of course most of those excursions were when I was in my 60s').

My advice would be a Hasselblad and light tripod with only a couple of key lenses.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

1. Sorry, can't answer that.
    2. Film holders and film can take 0F cold fairly well. Problem is your breath frosting on the ground glass under the dark cloth. Bring a respirator or a scarf to cover your mouth and nose.
    3. +1 on the strong UV filter, and take 81B and 81C warming filters. Shadows will have strong blue casts. Also hone your light metering skills for contrasty scenes with expanses of bright snow and ice.

Do a shakedown overnighter in very cold weather with the gear you choose to take. When you start shivering you won't care much about the film holders. You will learn important details to prepare better and know what works well for you. Wool hat and gloves and down booties worn inside the sleeping bag help. There are excellent resources for cold weather camping gear, tips, and technique. Plan to spend money on a first rate sleeping bag and footwear.

Airport security give you any trouble about the lead lined bags?

(Shrek)

No, never. I don't know if they opened it to look inside while it was behind their counter, but it was always in my carry-on with a bunch of photo-related gear. It's marked 'Film' and so were the boxes and roll film inside, so it's purpose was pretty obvious. And, no fogged or flashed film.

Take a couple feet of 1/2" rubber tubing and use it like a snorkel when you're under the dark cloth. It sounds stupid but it's really a pain to have the groundglass frost up over and over.

Yes, keep the film in your carry on in a lead bag. I do it all the time and have never even been questioned.