Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ok, what inkjet printer is the most reliable and clog-free?

Re: Ok, what inkjet printer is the most reliable and clog-free?

I use Cone K7 inks with my 2880 (not directly comparable, I know) and I have to follow the "print often" routine to avoid clogs. This said, the prints are beautiful and dot free (a gripe I have with ABW prints upon close inspection) - well worth it IMO.

Looking at the B&H listing for Epson 3880, it appears there are three of them. Can anyone explain what the difference is, and why it is/isn't important?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Looking at the B&H listing for Epson 3880, it appears there are three of them. Can anyone explain what the difference is, and why it is/isn't important?
    The Designer edition is the same as the base model except that it also has a network interface card - so you can connect the printer directly tio a network (to a switch or router) in addition to plugging into a computer's USB port.

The Signature Worthy edition is the same as the base model except that it also include 125 sheets of Epson paper.

I consulted with someone today who said that his 2880 clogs.

I have a 3880 that I've used sporadically, and I've not had a clog. Again, months at a time can go by, and no clog.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I've been talking to my friend who prints professionally ... has a room full of large format Epsons and Canons. He's convinced humidity makes a big difference and that clogs are more likely in dry weather. I basically live in a victorian barn, so humidity is not really controlable here.

Do any of you who have such blessed, clog-free printers keep them where the humidity swings low?

I'm not that far from you. I have an Epson 4800 that rarely clogs and only after long periods of non-use. The printer is in my office that gets some air conditioning in the summer and forced air heat in the winter, with many months just the windows open. I have never noticed any patterns to the clogging other than the long periods of non-use. A few cleaning cycles is all I have ever needed. I have never used the power cleaning cycle.

Before I do a print job, I run the Auto Nozzle Check and Head Cleaning from the Printer Service Utility - this prints large rectangles of each ink and is much more likely to detect a clog than the nozzle check that just prints diagonal lines. It rarely finds a clog. Not that this says a lot, but I just ran an auto nozzle check after not having printed for about 2 weeks and it came up clean.

I've been using a 4880 for a few years and have really only had one clog, and that was after a particularly long period of non-use. I certainly don't print daily or even weekly.

I've been very happy with the printer.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I've been talking to my friend who prints professionally ... has a room full of large format Epsons and Canons. He's convinced humidity makes a big difference and that clogs are more likely in dry weather. I basically live in a victorian barn, so humidity is not really controlable here.

Do any of you who have such blessed, clog-free printers keep them where the humidity swings low?
    I have forced hot air heating without a humidifier. Epson recommends a 20-80% RH range for operation at all, a 40-60% range for optimum print quality and a 35-45% range for "optimal operation", which presumably means health and welfare of the hardware. It regularly dips into the 25-35% range here over the winter, but I've had no problems so far.

I use a humidifier when I have to, in Seattle that is rare, only during extremely cold dry spells in winter when the heat is running a lot. But the other trick I use sometimes during these spells is to place a wet sponge in near the head every night. Just don't forget to take it out before printing!
    Tyler

Epsons are great printers. I nave a Canon ipf6300 about 2 years old. Works like a charm - never clogs or skips a beat. Print heads are user replaceable, if ever a problem, unlike comparable Epsons.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !