Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Arca Swiss

Which Arca Swiss

For a complete beginner buying an Arca Swiss for architectural photography (film, 120 or 4x5), is an older model going to do the job, or is it worth paying the extra for an F-Line or Discovery?

And can the older models be upgraded?

Re: Which Arca Swiss

I have a 171mm 4x5 Classic F and an old-style Arca 6x9.

The thing to remember about the older-style Arcas is that they have a foam seal in the front and back. So, you would need to monitor these light seals for deterioration, change them when needed, etc.

Also, I believe that my 6x9 Arca can't bring the lens and ground glass as close together as a modern 6x9 Arca. If this is the case in the 4x5 old-style, then this could affect architectural photography. (Given architectural photography's reliance on super-wides.) At the same time, while hard to find, recessed lensboards as deep as 2 inches were made for the old-style 4x5 Arcas.

Other than these details, the controls, rise, shift, etc., seem to work just fine on my older Arca.

Thanks Neil.

A new version of an arca swiss discovery is not common but can be found second hand for a good price. Here are some thoughts.

I owned the stock Discovery(12 inch monorail, big lens boards, standard bellows). It was the perfect camera for a one lens photographer, particularly if the one lens is a 150mm lens. The thing is like carrying a big, metal brick around but it is the best camera for the money and you might be able to find one used for between 600.00 and 1000.00 depending on condition, accessories,etc. I bought the expensive folding rail which made it easier to carry.

Now if you want to use a wide angle lens 90mm or wider, that's where the problems start. I purchased the leather wide angle bellows and used the folding rail. Again, it worked perfectly as a wide angle camera but these accessories, even second hand, are expensive. Things also got very bulky and time consuming in swapping out bellows and rails, particularly, when I added a 300mm lens, then I found I needed yet another bellows and more rails, which again added to the bulk and time in going from one lens to another. Things got so cumbersome, I got frustrated and sold everything on ebay and bought a 35mm rangefinder and a new stereo with the money.

In closing, if you are able to use just one lens at a time, or lenses close in focal length, so that you don't have to carry around and swap pieces too often, and you don't mind the weight, I don't think you can buy a significantly better camera at any price.

More expensive Arca Swiss models (like the Arca F field version I believe) are more flexible and you don't have to "rebuild" the camera every time you swap a lens but the prices will go up significantly.

Thanks John.

I started with an Arca-Swiss Discovery and I currently have the components to run my camera for both 4x5 and 8x10 film.

I think that Mr. Borrelli's comments don't reflect the fact that the system is modular.

P.S. If someone has the 5x7 F-line, 171 components and wants to sell, let me know
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

To be specific about this comment from Mr. Borrelli:

"More expensive Arca Swiss models (like the Arca F field version I believe) are more flexible and you don't have to "rebuild" the camera every time you swap a lens but the prices will go up significantly."

The only parts difference between a Discovery and an F-line camera is that the Discovery function carriers are a bit different, one of them not being geared. Both Discovery function carriers can be used on any other F-line camera, and I happen to like using the non-geared carrier.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

I am a lucky, happy and content owner of an Arca Swiss F-Line 6x9 from ~ 1985 with relatively new Rodenstock lenses from 45mm to 180mm. Until today I've never reached any limits with this camera in architecture, interior, cityscapes, documentation.

It can't be upgraded, but it does have a mini Graflok back, so some digital backs might fit (I really don't know, I'm not interested in this option).

At least for me I don't see any reason to upgrade this marvel. If I need a larger format, I use another camera.

One important point if you will buy a used one: Check the gears. Arca doesn't have any spare parts for models prior to 1990.

Thanks all.

Thanks for the tip about the gears.