Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coolest photo tool(s) you have/have used?

Name: ______William Booth

Re: Coolest photo tool(s) you have/have used?

You want to download "Pocket Light Meter." It is free to download and a small fee to remove the ads and/or buy the developer a pint. From everything that I have read, it is the best iPhone Meter available. I believe there was a thread on it and the alternatives here at one point. It does not work well in low-light, but I am very happy with my results. I don't have a bonafide light meter to compare its readings to though...

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    This is going to sound cheesy and like I'm an ADD 14 year old kid but here goes. You may judge me as you wish. My coolest single tool is probably my iphone. I have a viewfinder app that can show me the field of view of any lens on any format from minox to 8x10. It's frequently a stopwatch to time long exposures. I record exposure information on it as a voice recorder so I can shoot now, write later. I have an app to track the path of the sun in time and space. I can calculate depth of field and find hyperfocal distances with a few finger taps. I can keep convenient timers and notes for film development. I have a calculator function saved that calculates reciprocity values rather than estimating them from ilford's crappy little tables. I even have a small flashlight and can read this forum with it!

Do I need it? No. I would be completely lying if I said something stupid like "I wouldn't know what to do without it" but I can conveniently do a lot of things with it, leaving me free to carry less stuff or be more informed than I might have otherwise been.
    Very interested in knowing which Apps are you using for these functions.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Very interested in knowing which Apps are you using for these functions.
    I use "Artemis" for a viewfinder. It's kind of pricy, but I know the developer and get it for the price of beta testing notes. I'm working with him right now to add a bit better functionality for users with stills in mind. It's primarily for motion picture work but the changes are simple, they just need to be done.

"Sun Seeker" is good for figuring out sun position and times. "Helios" is also good for this but I think it's a bit unwieldy and expensive. Same developer and arrangement as I have for Artemis.

"pCam" is for a depth of field calculator and for finding hyperfocal distances.

I use a timer app called "Elapsed" for saving and running multiple timers at once for development. I develop in BTZS tubes so it's helpful to have multiple timers with separate alarms when they're up. I usually just use the Clock app that comes with iOS to time long exposures.

I have a function saved in a scientific calculator called "PEMDAS" that I use to calculate reciprocity.

The coolest thing I have is my Photon/Beard 16x20 darkroom easel. LOVE THAT THING. And rarer than hen's teeth.

Vanannan

I love my 8cm X 6cm combined spotmeter, loupe, level,torch, laser distance measure,stopwatch, clock and digital voice recorder.
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    ZZZZZ, huh, doh I just woke up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lakin View Post
    ZZZZZ, huh, doh I just woke up.
    Whatever you're trying to say, you're utterly failing. Are we boring you or are you dreaming of your perfect take along tool?

This little tool is pretty cool...

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    This little tool is pretty cool...
    I assume you're referring to that nice little black number in the bottom right corner.

Vanannan

Whatever you're trying to say, you're utterly failing. Are we boring you or are you dreaming of your perfect take along tool?
    Dreaming of my ideal take along tool of course, I carry all of the listed items in my pockets plus some, I have a Minox monocular which includes an altimeter a stopwatch, clock and thermometer and was imagining how many items could be included in one unit.

Richard M. Coda

I have a viewfinder app that can show me the field of view of any lens on any format from minox to 8x10.
    Where is this app? I can't find it.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"