Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Stricter Guildelines Enforcement Now In Effect

Re: Stricter Guildelines Enforcement Now In Effect

I'll take the blonde on the bottom right.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by soeren View Post
    I still wonder why this is neccesarry. I participate in a couple of other foras and this place is the only one regularly exposing such troubles, why? Are members here less polite? More narrowminded? Don't we know how to behave on an internet forum, like children who don't know when to back off and let it go?

Best regards
    Ken might not be a psychologist, but I am (*)

LF photographers are not representative of internet denizens in general, or even photographers. We're a bunch of cranky old farts. We're into LF partly because we demand perfection and absolute control and we are willing to go to extraordinary lengths to achieve those, and we're contrary as well because when everyone else jumped on the digital bandwagon, we said "Bah humbug!" On top of that, we've been doing this for so many years, for the most part, we think we know it all. That's sort of a 'perfect storm' for the type of behavior we often see here.

I would like to point out that the bad behavior on LFPF is quite different from classic Internet trolling, which is usually done by losers of any age who are bitter and angry that they're not achieving anything of note in their lives. Classic trolls know they're trolls and take pleasure in being disruptive (trolls for Jesus are even worse); moderators on other forums recognize those for what they are and it's usually quite straightforward to ban one. Those who break the rules here probably think they have something to contribute, but feel their contribution is so important that they're allowed to break the rules. Or in some cases, may have never bothered to read the rules in the first place. Er... I'm going to stop now.

* actually, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Sorry, I reached for an image that was close at hand. Here are some others. I'll bet that 99.9% of forum members can pass the following test with flying colors.

Which ones are the Large Format photographers, and which ones are the psychotherapists ?
    This is a trick question, right?
    1. Is a jobinterview
    2. Is a largeformat photographer seing a psychotherapist.
    3. I dont know
    4. A guy taking drawing lessons.
    What did I win?

Repeating unanswered question:
    What camera is AA shown using in post #16?
    thank you.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Looks like a baby speed graphic to me. Pre-Anniversary model.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

... and a Weston III meter.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Looks like a baby speed graphic to me. Pre-Anniversary model.
    Highly unlikely, probably an early Linhof, or a Zeiss, it's a German camera.

Ian

For the record, I'd like to point out a few things.

1. This forum has been in existence, in one form or another, since about 1992. Originally, the forum was part of Lusenet, an early Internet communications experiment started by a college professor. When that site decided to go "commercial" we were "off the air" for a while, as they say, but restarted with our own software and our own domain. That worked OK for a while, but the software didn't provide any effective means of dealing with problem participants. That fact prompted our changeover to using the vBulletin software in 2005.

2. Personally, I've been a moderator here since about 2002, but for the last couple of years decided to limit my activity to mostly helping with technical issues, e-mail inquiries, and the like. That decision was prompted, in part, by a growing lack of tolerance for borderline behavior.

3. The guidelines written in 2005 embodied the principals upon which the forum was run from the beginning - open, but cordial, communication regarding large format photography issues, with no "commercial" content. The guidelines have been tweaked a few times, but remain largely the same as they have always been.

4. Within the registration process there is a check box where the registrant indicates that they have read the guidelines and agree to comply with those guidelines. Thus, every member is expected to have read them, and is expected to follow them. (Certainly, they wouldn't have lied to us about that, would they?)

5. Over the years, we have gone through several periods in which we have been prompted to tighten enforcement of the guidelines, so as not to allow the site to sink into a quagmire of uncivil behavior. In all cases, that tightening was forced by a minority of members who felt the rules didn't apply to them. Not so, since they agreed to comply with the guidelines when they registered.

6. While we listen to rational input from the membership, the forum has never been a democracy. It can't be. We make decisions based on what is best for the long-term health of the forum, not the whims of individuals. So far, that has worked fairly well.

7. The forum operates on contributed resources (server, storage, bandwidth), and is run by a small group of (unpaid) volunteers who have demonstrated a mindset consistent with the objectives of the forum. Since we also have other things to do, like making the occasional LF photograph, we prefer not to be house mothers to the ill-behaved.

You will now be returned to your irregularly-scheduled LF-related programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    ...I've been a moderator here since about 2002, but for the last couple of years decided to limit my activity to mostly helping with technical issues, e-mail inquiries, and the like. That decision was prompted, in part, by a growing lack of tolerance for borderline behavior...
    I hope the stricter guideline enforcement will quell borderline behavior and bring your moderating activity level back up. I appreciate what you've done and hope you can tolerate doing even more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Sorry, I reached for an image that was close at hand. Here are some others. I'll bet that 99.9% of forum members can pass the following test with flying colors.

Which ones are the Large Format photographers, and which ones are the psychotherapists ?

The ones lying back in the chairs are Large Format Photographers. They are seeking help because they are depressed about the rising cost and dwindling availability of film and chemistry. The two individuals toting fancy cameras are psychotherapists. Who else could afford fancy stuff like that?

Did I get it right?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!