Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Stricter Guildelines Enforcement Now In Effect

Re: Stricter Guildelines Enforcement Now In Effect

Back to Darin's and Kirk's point(in a nutshell), how do we stay RELEVANT and not boring? Technical discussions are usually cut and dry unless it is new, cutting edge etc. Personally I see no reason not to add MFDSLR discussion and those who use them (mostly pros), and beyond just the lounge section.

Some imaqes I saw recently in a well printed hardcover book where the image maker was using mostly Hasselblad H4D-60 were of the quality akin to LF. If we are all too conservative to include these new images and discussions around them, well I've already said it...

Quote Originally Posted by pdmoylan View Post
    Personally I see no reason not to add MFDSLR discussion and those who use them (mostly pros), and beyond just the lounge section.
    But I thought the whole point of this forum was to discuss large format photography exclusively? (See forum title.)
    Seems to me that every forum has a handful of regulars who want it to be their one-stop-shop - the place where they can log in and get all the social interaction they need, and discuss everything that interests them. Personally I hope this place retains its focus.

(Shrek)

Having the forum focused on a particular type of camera that most photographers have thought obsolete for 50 years has it's charms. Weeds out the riff-raff who buy whatever those photo magazines are selling. Or at least it keeps them in the closet re. their latest acquisitions.

Back to Darin's and Kirk's point(in a nutshell), how do we stay RELEVANT and not boring?...
    It seems fairly clear that those who frequent this forum but aren't complaining about its purpose find it relevant and not boring.

...Personally I see no reason not to add MFDSLR discussion and those who use them (mostly pros), and beyond just the lounge section...
    Although I find that suggestion absurd for the Large Format Photography Forum, if you feel compelled to make it, how about doing so in the manner indicated by earlier posts? In other words, start a thread in the Feedback category rather than being off topic in a News category thread on the entirely different subject of rules enforcement?

Maybe this is the deathfight of LFPF. The subject of LF photography is also covered on APUG and to some extent also on RFF. Many of us shoot more than just LF and may want to stay on the foras where most interests and used formats are covered. LF photography is a rather specialized niche, whether interests in this is declining or not I don't know but it could be LFPF should join forces with other foras e.g. f295 or alternative photography though I suspect a lot of us already participate in those as well.
    Best regards
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soeren View Post
    Maybe this is the deathfight of LFPF.
    No. This forum has far more relevant and sensible posts than the other photography forums. And the only subject is LF! APUG is a ghost town by comparison. (The only thing that LFPF lacks is a gallery feature. If LFPF had a feature where the user's posted pictures could be shown as a gallery, that would be neat! But I suppose that would be a special feature.)

Anyways.

This is the "age" of the Internet (what happened to the age of Aquarius?), where competition is just a forum launch away, any given day. And since nobody has created an alternate LF forum, then by default everybody agrees that LFPF is good enough as it is. Nobody is breaking a sweat to create an alternative, and I haven't seen any "I'm moving to X because of the moderators." (Actually, I usually see it based on the lack of moderation) The reason that Japan became a polite society is because there were a head-chopping bunch called "samurais." They considered it to be their duty to kill people who were rude. And today, although there are no longer any samurais, Japanese society puts an extreme premium on being polite. Here, the moderators have taken a firm stance about some pretty basic stuff, and that's just the way it is.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Brian, A Gallery is a great idea to keep it all interesting. Is it possible?

I like the narrow focus of this forum. That's why I visit and participate. Having the site dedicated to large format keeps it a small enough community to get to know most of the participants a bit from their postings and keeps the amount of information small enough to be digestible. Adding MF/DSLR would just bloat it unnecessarily. There are fora enough for those things. When I wish to discuss other topics than LF, I simply go to another forum.

Best,

Doremus

Preston Birdwell

(The only thing that LFPF lacks is a gallery feature. If LFPF had a feature where the user's posted pictures could be shown as a gallery, that would be neat!...)
    I think this is a great idea. There are two avenues that this could take: A simple gallery that would not allow for comments/critiques, or a gallery that would. Either way, I believe a gallery of some sort would be an asset.

Adding MF/DSLR would just bloat it unnecessarily. There are fora enough for those things. When I wish to discuss other topics than LF, I simply go to another forum.
    I heartily agree.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I agree , I just wish I knew how to get rid of the FS section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    I like the narrow focus of this forum. That's why I visit and participate. Having the site dedicated to large format keeps it a small enough community to get to know most of the participants a bit from their postings and keeps the amount of information small enough to be digestible. Adding MF/DSLR would just bloat it unnecessarily. There are fora enough for those things. When I wish to discuss other topics than LF, I simply go to another forum.

Best,

Doremus