Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the compositional rules?

What are the compositional rules?

Try the PPofA and their "salon" competitions. At least those folks used to play by the "rules" (don't know if they still do), so they may have a copy of the "rulebook".

"No one can teach another how to see. If composition could be taught, anyone might become an artist. Composition is a way of seeing-- strong or weak, according to the individual. Rules of composition are deduced from the work of strong masters and used by weak imitators to produce nothing."

Edward Weston

I wish I had book marked all of the quotes of Mr. Weston relative to composition. Another is something like "Composition is the strongest way of seeing something." Read his daybooks as he beats up all the rules. Many of his most well known nudes were shot near high noon. "Golden light", ha.

"To consult rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk. Good composition is only the strongest way of seeing the subject. It cannot be taught because, like all creative effort, it is a matter of personal growth.''

Edward Weston, 1943

Not sure if this is strictly a compositional rule but a very useful idea to carry around is to exclude as much from the picture as possible and leave only the essentials.

I agree with the people who have quoted Weston so adeptly. Having taught photography off and on for 23 years now, I have to say that composition cannot be taught. It can only be commented on. It works or it doesn't for each particular image. At the risk of sounding absurd....on a ground glass when it works you can feel it as a tingling in your spine. It is a felt sense more than an intellectual excersise.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

According to Freeman Patterson, the only rule in photography is "never process color transparency film in chicken noodle soup." Or something to that effect.

*That is to say, here's a list of compositional rules/creative devices that come to mind at the moment. All of them ripe to be broken... *

Ah, but you need to know them first. ;-)
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.

My favorite rule of photography is the rule of thirds. It has salvaged many boring photographic expeditions. I offer my version of the rule of thirds so that all photographers may benefit from it -

one third tequila

one third triple sec

one third lime juice

Shaken or stirred, your choice.

Best consumed with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

"Best consumed with tongue firmly planted in cheek."

Are you sure - that sounds a good way to spill all that lovely lunch.... erm, sorry... I mean "evening drink", down your shirt....

Cheers,