Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Chamonix in 3 months-ish

Re: New Chamonix in 3 months-ish

Well its axis tilt, so the lensboard carrier tilts, but the uprights of the front standard remain vertical.... So swings are always on a vertical axis?.....someone help me out here....

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    Well its axis tilt, so the lensboard carrier tilts, but the uprights of the front standard remain vertical.... So swings are always on a vertical axis?.....someone help me out here....
    Boy, I bet Frank P. would know this.
    Seriously, I think this (posted earlier in this thread) explains it well enough:
    http://www.jonathanbarlow.com/sinar-...ee-info-22.pdf
    Let me see if I can put this into words (someone correct me if I'm wrong here):

In a yaw-free camera, the plane of the lens stays parallel to the front standards, so if the front and rear standards are parellel, when the lens is swung, the intersection of the lens plane and film plane remains parellel to the standards. When a non-yaw-free camera is swung the intersection line does not remain parallel with the standards, it tilts depending on how much swing is applied.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

Just Getting Started

Preston is correct. If you tilt the rear standard which is not axis tilt, any swing will not be yaw free.

Additionally, if you drop the base, your front standard is no longer vertical (even if you have adjusted the tilt to keep the lens itself vertical), so swing will induce yaw [or in my mind, weird motion] in that case. Once you drop the base, the movements on the Chamonix front standard will get quite strange due to the fixed nature of the standard.

My bet is that this is what they will be addressing, but I suppose they'll need to do it on the rear too. It should be interesting.

There are only two requirements that need to be met for a camera to be yaw free

1 the swing point on the front and rear standard are below the tilt point

Or

2 The swing and tilt point is the same point on the front and rear standard.

Furthermore: if the tilt point is above the swing point as it is on most cameras then that camera is also yaw free if it is rotated 90 degrees as that would then make the former tilt points the swing point.

Since the introduction of the world's first yaw free camera, the original Limhof Kardan, no one can tell from a photograph if the image was taken with a yaw free or yaw prone camera.

The most common way to make a camera yaw free is to add an additional tilt point below the swing point. So those cameras have both a coarse tilt to level the standards and a fine tilt to do the image manipulation. Among others this is the yaw free design currently used by Linhof and Sinar.

well said bob. thanks.

on a side note i got the last 45n-1 camera! i think it is the best design to date....for what i wanted. the lightest camera with the most features. the n-1 is that for me. i sold my n-2 and called hugo and asked about buying another n-1 as i stupidly sold mine. he said they were all sold out. gone forever . he called me back to say he pulled some strings and they were building one last n-1 from parts they had "laying" around....just for ME!

thanks hugo!

and that y'all was a free story!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Congratulations Eddie, that was awful nice of Hugo and Chaminox!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Congratulations Eddie, that was awful nice of Hugo and Chaminox!
    yes sir! thanks hugo! and now for a video....or two!

My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

one more of hugo.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Just Getting Started

Bob, well said of course. I didn't have the time yesterday to go further with my explanation but you eliminated that need, thanks. Eddie, I have had the *exact* type of experience with Hugo. I won't receive my Teak w/ Silver 02 (with extension, leather wrap and viewing hood) until next week. However, all dealing I have had with Hugo are unlink almost any other experience with a camera vendor. He is very prompt in answering all questions, very thorough, and he posts his freakin cell phone online and he actually answers it. I'm extremely happy with hist business ethics and would never hesitate for a second to recommend Chamonix to anyone, assuming the camera meets their needs of course. Hugo knows how to conduct business!