Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Sharpening

Good Sharpening

There was a post a while back on sharpening in PS.
    I just wanted to share a video tutorial I found this week; I found it to be quite effective, depending on the subject.
    It's a bit involved, but the results are impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Jqc...eature=related

Re: Good Sharpening

I am far from a PS expert (or PS fluent, even) but that's a very elegant solution.

I've thought about doing something similar for a long time, but I've resorted to painting in sharpening when overall sharpening isn't good enough. But it's time to take the plunge to something more sophisticated. Thanks for the link!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

My pleasure, Peter.
    I find that while each step is important, the two "curves" steps make the most difference in the final output.
    I have yet to play around with the Gaussian Blur to see what effect it has on the final output.

Computer graphics are great. When he was finished it did not look anything like a photograph taken with film and printed on photographic paper.

Very useful technique. Thanks.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

It looks like the edge masks from "Real World Sharpening".
    By the way, you can invert the mask and do noise reduction without softening the edges.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Is this technique the same as the "Edge Sharpening" found in Aperture? Seems to produce nearly the same result anyway from my quick experiment.

I'm finding that there are a number of advanced features like this in PhotoShop that have worked their way into Aperture and LightRoom with much streamlined user interfaces targeted to photography. But it's nice to know about this one for use in PhotoShop directly.

UPDATE: After reading details on what Aperture's Edge Sharpening does, it is exactly this and a more. It also applies progressive sharpening (multi-pass sharpening that reduces ringing), it only sharpens the luminance channel (so that you don't get odd color artifacts), and it balances sharpening between the various tonal levels on a perceptual level (so that shadows appear to receive the same sharpening as mid-tones, when in fact they get different intensities - the visual system perceives them as the same).

I don't use LightRoom, but I presume it has a similar feature. Edge Sharpening appears to be everything that this advanced PS process is, and more.
    Last edited by chuck94022; 27-Nov-2012 at 19:55. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Computer graphics are great. When he was finished it did not look anything like a photograph taken with film and printed on photographic paper.
    It's a demo on youtube. If he stuck to amounts of sharpening a sane person would use on a photograph, it wouldn't look any different at bad video resolution.

To wrap this up, I want to add that the saved file behaves rather strangely, due to the new Alpha channel that was created.
    For example, I opened up the sharpened file in Alien Skin filters, and got only a red layer to work with.
    I don't think it will save as a jpg either.
    It's impossible to merge the channels, also.

Oddly enough, I found that once you have finished the sharpening steps outlined in the video, you can dump the Alpha channel; there will be no effect on the image, the sharpening will still be there.
    You can then work on other aspects of the photo, and save it any way you wish.