Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't want wood shooting photos....

I don't want wood shooting photos....

OK folks, a couple of weeks ago, I had my heart set on buying a Press type camera with a range finder.

Then I decided that LF wasn't for me.

But, for some unknown reason, I keep on getting drawn back to the marvelous work that is displayed on this forum. I also am very interested in trying some alternative processes, one day.

So, LF (4x5 to start with) is back on the agenda and so is the search for a camera. I have had a think about a rangefinder and have heeded most peoples advice and have decided to give one a miss, which leads me to 'what camera should I buy'?

OK, these are my parameters:

• Field camera over a monorail
    • Rotating Graphloc type back
    • Prefer not to purchase a wood camera
    • Something that I could use for portrait work as well
    • 4x5

I am well aware of the Toyo 45 range. I am also aware of the camera's discussed on the front page of this website.
    What I am not aware of is what other candidates are out there that would fit the above requirements.

I have come across a handful of Wista 45D's on Ebay, as well as a couple of Rittreck-views. I have seen a small amount of discussion on these camera's, but not an awful lot.
    How are these in the grand scheme of things? Will these be camera's that I will outgrow quickly? How are things like replacing Bellows on these? At this point in time, I am looking at around $500 to $600 to get going (one lens, one board, a couple of holders and a camera).

Any advice more then welcome!

Cheers

Re: I don't want wood shooting photos....

hoffy,

Not to sound curmudgeonly, but why are you asking for advice when you have already decided what camera you want. You describe your desired features very exactly, so just go out and get a camera of that type that fits your budget. The differences between cameras that have the features you want are inconsequential.

As for outgrowing a camera... I still have the very first view camera I ever purchased, a Graphic View II, and it is still as serviceable as the day it was made (which was a long time before I acquired it...).

I have both metal monorail and wood folding cameras. I carry lightweight wooden folders in the field. I like the Toyo 45s (the Wista metal folders are similar as others of this type), but they are just to heavy for me. My Wista DX is just over 3 pounds; my Horseman Woodman is even lighter. Metal field cameras are 6 pounds and up. But, since you don't want a wooden camera, I won't recommend one.

My advice: get a Toyo 45. It is a great camera, you won't outgrow it for what it was intended to do (if you need other features for whatever reason, you need another camera, likely a monorail), it is well-built and will last you a lifetime. Buy used. Then if you don't like it, you can sell it for about what you paid for it.

Best,

Doremus

Chamonix 45 n-2 is a great camera. Some wood but a lot of metal. Regardless, it's awesome.

Oops. A bit out of your price range but something to keep in mind.

The thing about LF cameras is that as long as the standards are paralell, they are all kind of the same camera. Just a box with a lens and film. So...you can't really outgrow them. Some do more than others, but all of them do the basic functions. Sometimes people are better off with no movements.

I have to ask...why is wood not an option ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    I have to ask...why is wood not an option ?
    After using a Wista 45DX for 26 years I'd say bwhy not, what's your aversion ?

On the other hand the Toyo 45A is a good camera and was somethiong I had in mind until I found a Super Graphic at a bargain price.

Ian

Maybe I am being a bit anal, but I think something a bit more substantial would take a bit more punishment. I am also thinking I should be able to get something metal a tad cheaper then a wood camera.

But, yes you are right - in the end they are just boxes with holes in them.

Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Maybe I am being a bit anal, but I think something a bit more substantial would take a bit more punishment. I am also thinking I should be able to get something metal a tad cheaper then a wood camera.

But, yes you are right - in the end they are just boxes with holes in them.
    Hmm, metal not wood camera, ... have you met Frank?

Like many here, I have both. and therefore I am agnostic with regards to the construction materials provided they are fit for use.

I have no doubt that my metal body Linhof Technika could handle a great deal of abuse, however it will have to be returned to the manufacturer or their representatives for proper repairs.

While my wood 8x10 and 8x20 cameras would not be able to take the same amount of abuse, I know I could send them to Richard Ritter (or likely many others) for effective repairs.

With the advent of advanced short run and prototyping techniques, the situation is much different now than before. But I think that you might find that materials used are more tied to preferred manufacturing techniques of the companies (e.g. Linhof => cast and machined) and the volumes produced (i.e. cannot write off the casting dies over short run, therefore hand crafted wood often solution).

Hope that helps,

Len

A sturdy and usually inexpensive all-metal press camera is the Burke & James. It has the advantage of better front movements than Anniversary or Pacemaker series Speed Graphics, a revolving back, and the once ubiquitous 4" square lens boards. The Speed Graphic has the edge in build quality despite the wooden chassis in most models, the Graflok back in some versions, and is part of a more complete system. The Super Graphic might fit the OP's criteria better than any other press camera. Some models of Speed Graphic also have the advantage of a focal plane shutter, facilitating the use of barrel lenses. For $500 and patient shopping, one can get both a basic press and field camera outfit. Compatibility of lens boards is desirable in an arsenal of LF cameras.

Get a Linhof Technika if you've got the $$. It's Sturdy with a capital "S" and the long time weapon of choice for many fine photographers.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Get a Linhof Technika if you've got the $$. It's Sturdy with a capital "S" and the long time weapon of choice for many fine photographers.
    Yes, that is essentially what the OP specified. Too bad they don't come in mahogany...
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.