Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Switching from Windows to Mac

Re: Switching from Windows to Mac

I've been waiting for the new iMacs to come out, I have my eye on a 21" hopefully in the next few weeks. But the 2011 models that are still available are somewhat discounted. Does anybody know what the latest model will bring? I know they dropped the SuperDrive and are thinner but the display is the same from what I hear. Anyone have an opinion on buying last years at a discount or holding out for the new model??
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Dave View Post
    I've been waiting for the new iMacs to come out, I have my eye on a 21" hopefully in the next few weeks. But the 2011 models that are still available are somewhat discounted. Does anybody know what the latest model will bring? I know they dropped the SuperDrive and are thinner but the display is the same from what I hear. Anyone have an opinion on buying last years at a discount or holding out for the new model??
    Dave
    I've heard the new 21" iMacs have soldered in memory that can't be upgraded (but the new 27" iMacs can be RAM upgraded). Those new iMacs don't really appeal to me, I don't need super sleekness in a desktop machine. Personally, I'd definitely go for an older model. The new Fusion drive might have a significant impact on some software's performance, but have to wait for some reviews to know if it's worth it.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

As for Microsoft Office, you can download (for free) Open Office for your Mac.
    It's compatible with MO files.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    I've heard the new 21" iMacs have soldered in memory that can't be upgraded (but the new 27" iMacs can be RAM upgraded). Those new iMacs don't really appeal to me, I don't need super sleekness in a desktop machine. Personally, I'd definitely go for an older model. The new Fusion drive might have a significant impact on some software's performance, but have to wait for some reviews to know if it's worth it.
    For that reason, I bought an almost-new non-Retina Macbook Pro ; I upgraded my RAM and changed to a SS HD, and it took 10 minutes at home.

I know Adobe let me switch from Windows to Mac, but I needed to upgrade to the latest version. So I still had to pay the upgrade price, as I suspect you will. You will need new licenses for most software such as Office. Some packages give you both in the same package. And there's lot's of free alternatives, like Open Office, to consider.

The new iMacs were just announced but aren't shipping yet. They look like decent machines for image editing. I would wait for one of these over the current version. I would get the fusion drive, or an SSD. And make sure to get as much RAM as the machine will hold. You can usually get the memory cheaper at OWC than from Apple, assuming it can be upgraded (my new Mac Book Pro can't be). Looks like the 27" iMac can take 32GB of RAM. I would seriously consider getting that, as I find 16GB a bit too tight at times. I had 24GB on my Mac Pro and it was nice.

For either Mac or Windows the NEC monitors with Spectra View look very good, from reviews I have read. I'm still debating getting one of the 30" ones, or waiting to see if Apple comes out with a Retina display Thunderbolt monitor. You could also go with the NEC monitor and a Mac Mini. That looks like the most bang for your buck on Mac side. (16GB of RAM at OWC is 1/3 the cost of ordering it from Apple).

I am very happy with my decision 6 years ago to switch to Mac. But I need a Mac (or other Unix based machine) for my day job, so Windows really isn't an option any more. But I would still stay with the Macs even if I could use either one.

Many thanks your replies. Very interesting points to ponder especially the learning curve. I look forward to more comments. No one can tell if the final print was from a Mac or Windows so it's still a jump ball. Again thanks.

I thought I was switching to Mac a few years ago to avoid Vista but then Win 7 came along so I use a Macbook on the road and a PC at home/work.

Don't see any practical difference and certainly nothing to get excited about in Mac land as opposed to PC land. Prices being equal I'd buy whichever one was handy (but prices are far from equal so my Mac experiment is over). Load VMWare or something similar and run Windows (and Linux if you like - I do) on the Mac.

Re high end display, I think either NEC or Eizo are about it. I have two Apple Cinema 30 inch displays on my PC and they're nice but Apple just being Apple suddenly dropped them because they only seem interested in making displays in movie aspect ratio. I don't watch movies and don't like the aspect ratio and getting my two monitors to look the same is impossible.

Next big purchase will be one of the 30 inch NEC displays. I designed my office with enough space for three 30 inch displays so it will fit just fine. NEC/Eizo are pretty popular in businesses where color quality etc is essential.

Full Disclosure - NEC Tokyo is my main client but in a different business area completely. The displays are really good.

Buy a cheap MAC and try it out.... You can buy an intel power MAC for around 400.... If your current monitor has a DVI output get a cable and just try it..... Some people like the MAC more than windows. If you have worked in both computer environments you can make an informed decision. With a MAC you probably can use the keyboard and mouse from your PC system. The native resolution on a older MAC Cinema display is 1920 x 1600 .... My used 23" Cinema display cost me used 160 dollars, very reasonable for the capabilities it has. It color tuned right away and accurately with my Monaco Optix.

I switched and i can never back to a PC ... really seriously it was no contest.

I've used both, Macs in school and at my daughter's house, PCs at home. For photography I never found a dime's worth of difference between the two. I've had one crash with a PC in 13 years. But have fun, it's not easy making the switch you're contemplating, there's at least one book written to help you through it. Sorry I don't remember the title but I've seen it at Barnes & Noble and on Amazon. Good luck.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
    Many thanks your replies. Very interesting points to ponder especially the learning curve. I look forward to more comments. No one can tell if the final print was from a Mac or Windows so it's still a jump ball. Again thanks.
    I was not able to color "tune" the monitor accurately with my PC like i could with my MAC. I can say without a doubt that i have waste less paper and ink with my MAC. Truly "wysiwyg" (what you see is what you get) with my Apple Cinema Display. I can atribute this to more the DVI monitor interface as aposed to the EGA monitor.