Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Switching from Windows to Mac

Switching from Windows to Mac

Greetings...

1. I am a Windows user considering switching to Mac. Is there software to make a switch? Does Adobe allow swtich? I have CS 5.5 and other Adobe products? Is lincensing a problem with basic software such as MS 2007, e-mail, etc. Plugins?

2. I understand Mac is coming out with new I Mac/monitor? Any comments? Should I wait?

3. If I stay with windows what is a high quaility monitor?

My main interest is printing large format 30 x 40 plus from large files 800MB plus.

Many thanks.

Re: Switching from Windows to Mac

Once you go Mac, you never go back! Trust me!!

If you call Adobe and tell them that you have a product license key, and you switched operating programs, they will help you download the right one. At least they did for me.

Don't even worry about a good quality monitor for a PC. Go Mac and don't look back. The graphics on a Mac are unrivaled.

I'd stay Windows. We're testing out the new retina MacBooks at work and they are as buggy an prone to crashing as a PC. And they cost twice as much.

True to form, the first two responses set up an Apple vs Microsoft donnybrook.

I'm an Apple shareholder, but Lord this has become tedious.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

I've been using windoze since the product was first introduced as an applique over DOS.
    I still have XP and 7 running on some machines to check compatability of my software products.

I switched to the MacBook Pros two years ago and have never had a problem of any kind.

I'm running Hasselblad Phocus s/w for image processing, and it works great.
    I also have PS, although I never use it. It seemed to work fine when I checked it after installation.

As to Jeff's comment...
    I haven't worked with that machine so I can't say one way or another.
    I can say that there's a world of difference between Mac OSX and any version of windoze.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    I'd stay Windows. We're testing out the new retina MacBooks at work and they are as buggy an prone to crashing as a PC. And they cost twice as much.
    We've been using retina MacBooks at work too and they run without a hitch, and they cost as much as a similar specced non-Apple laptop. Of course, you could always buy an Acer and deal with all the problems that that'll bring.

I say potayto, you say potahto.

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    We've been using retina MacBooks at work too and they run without a hitch, and they cost as much as a similar specced non-Apple laptop. Of course, you could always buy an Acer and deal with all the problems that that'll bring.

I say potayto, you say potahto.
    I don't want to get into a Windows vs. Mac debate - in fact, I think they have equivalent levels of crappiness. I can tell you that for my company, equally specced Macs cost about 35% more by the time all the software is included. If anyone is interested in the details, or more on the issues we've had, PM me and I can explain.

We use the 27" Apple Cinema Thunderbolt displays at work, and they have a truly gorgeous image. My 2 complaints - I hate the glossy screen, it's like a giant mirror, and the stand isn't sturdy enough on them, so they wobble up and down too much. Depending on your situation, these might not be issues for you. Note that I have no experience with color calibration on these.

I will say this, to the OP - think hard about why you might want to switch. There's a big learning curve involved with making a change in either direction.

I think in the end you can make either a Windows or Mac system work fine.

For the record, I use an iMac 21.5" and never had an issue. Of all the Mac products, they seen to be the most stable. MBP's are buggy little laptops sometimes, and the 27" iMac is said to be prone to overheating issues.

That being said, I'd take my chances with a Mac over a virus prone PC any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
    Greetings...

1. I am a Windows user considering switching to Mac. Is there software to make a switch? Does Adobe allow swtich? I have CS 5.5 and other Adobe products?
    As others have mentioned, contact Adobe about transferring your license.

Is lincensing a problem with basic software such as MS 2007, e-mail, etc. Plugins?
    You'll probably have to purchase a new version of MS Office. Microsoft makes more-or-less similar versions of Office for Windows and Macintosh, so you should be able to get used to the Mac version quickly enough.

The Mac comes with Apple Mail installed, which is quite good, and is the mail client that I use, but I don't use it with a Windows mail server. MS Office comes with a mail client too that of course works well with a Windows mail server. There's also the free Thunderbird mail client (which is available for Windows if you want to test it).

2. I understand Mac is coming out with new I Mac/monitor? Any comments? Should I wait?
    A new iMac and Mac Mini were introduced in October. See here: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

The new iMac is not shipping yet, but the Mini is. I have a Thunderbolt display at work for use with my MacBook Air 13" and it's an impressive screen, but I don't do any precise color matching at work, so I don't know how well it's calibrated or easy it is to calibrate, etc. The Thunderbolt display will work with any new Apple laptop or the Mini. The iMac has two Thunderbolt ports, so it should be able to drive an attached Thunderbolt display as a second monitor, but I don't know if it can drive a third.

Is there an Apple store near you? Go talk to the folks there about converting, they know it well and can help you out.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Richard M. Coda

I did this 5 years ago and never looked back. Windows used to crash several times a week and you always had to worry about viruses and security. I think my Mac has crashed twice in 5 years and that was due to a niche 3rd party app. And now with the new Windows8... jeez... even looks like a piece of garbage. Back on topic... if you sign up for the Adobe Cloud you can switch OS at will AFAIK.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"