Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How bright a flash is safe for the human eye?

Re: How bright a flash is safe for the human eye?

bounce-flash?
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    bounce-flash?
    A possibility, though I'm more likely to use a softbox with a diffusor.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Lasting eye damage with commercial available strobes at typical use distance is not very likely but yes you will see the colored balls etc.

Operators though can get blinded for longer times if flashed at full power while handling equipment ... The startling effect is much more dangerous ... Like falling from a ladder or getting burned

There are optical guidelines for all high brightness sources manufacturers have to comply with. This includes lasers, xenon arc lamps and even high brightness LED.

There are industrial flash lamps out there that will give you instant sunburn but it is very unlikely you have access to them ;-)

Edgerton didn't use standard flash lamps for motion stopping bullets ... Spark gaps are much better at it because of the extreme short flash duration .. Well under a microsecond ...

Mark, you should post a reading from the flash to give people a better idea. If it is f/50,000 at 20 feet then maybe you have a problem...

Personally after spending untold hours in the studio I no longer like flash that is direct without a lot of diffusion being aimed at me so I am pretty reticent about aiming it at anyone else, but that is just me.

Since you are doing wetplate you could block some of the visible light (thinking blue filter) to mitigate the effects of the bright light on their eyes.

Try throwing Tinkerbell in front of the light. If she melts then, yup, it is too bright....

John Olsen

Ditto, with some black gobo paper too close to a 2400ws. Luckily, I saw it before the smoke alarm went off. If it burns paper, it might be too hot for a model's eyes.

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    Lasting eye damage with commercial available strobes at typical use distance is not very likely but yes you will see the colored balls etc.

Operators though can get blinded for longer times if flashed at full power while handling equipment ... The startling effect is much more dangerous ... Like falling from a ladder or getting burned

There are optical guidelines for all high brightness sources manufacturers have to comply with. This includes lasers, xenon arc lamps and even high brightness LED.

There are industrial flash lamps out there that will give you instant sunburn but it is very unlikely you have access to them ;-)

Edgerton didn't use standard flash lamps for motion stopping bullets ... Spark gaps are much better at it because of the extreme short flash duration .. Well under a microsecond ...
    Egerton's spark gaps require hearing protectors. Trust me, I've staggered out several times from inadvertent spark gap firings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    When I was in the USAF and doing aerial reconnaissance on 10" roll at night our flashes were aerial bombs rather then strobes.
    Not a technique I'd recommended for models.

Jerry Spagnoli said at a workshop that he used a large bank of studio strobes (don't remember the specifics) to do Daguerreotype bridal portraits . He remarked that most girls wouldn't sit for more than two exposures.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Karnezis View Post
    Not a technique I'd recommended for models.
    You would also call them flares.

Google "Kleig Eye".
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know