Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for backpack for 8x10"

Recommendations for backpack for 8x10"

I used the F64 backpack for an 8x10 Deardorff and still use it for my 4x5 system. It's an excellent pack but I doubt that it's deep enough for your Agfa Ansco. That's a guess because I no longer have my 5x7 Agfa Ansco to check it but the pocket in the F64 was just barely deep enough for the Deardorff and I know the Agfa Ansco is a good bit thicker than a Deardorff. Some of the responses here don't seem to realize that the Agfa Ansco isn't a "clam shell" design and requires a deeper "pocket" than a clam shell design. FWIW, with my Agfa Ansco 5x7 I bought a hiking back pack from an outdoor equipment store, unfortunately I don't remember the model. But if you take your camera with you to a good sporting goods/outdoor type store you should be able to find something that will work. The main problem is that many of the hiking packs seem to be top loaders, which isn't ideal for camera equipment, but there are enough front loaders out there to give you a decent selection.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I use the f64 BPX for my 8x10 Korona & it just barely fits. The Korona measures about 14" x 15" x 6.5" when folded. I bought the bag directly from the factory at a significant savings. I can't imagine putting a bigger camera in the bag. I put 3 holders in the exterior pocket, but have read that some squeeze 4 in.

I use one of the older LowePro Super Trekkers - the one with the tripod case - for my Zone VI. With some artful arranging, it will hold the camera, 9 film holders, darkcloth, three lenses, a Lee filter kit and filter hood, spotmeter and miscellaneous paraphenalia.

OTOH, it's a heavy beast, and in warmer weather, my back sweats under it. There are times I'd rather use a pack mule.

RichSBV: If you were able to use shoulder straps on it without the frame, it wasn't the large. Also, the large version has some extra pockets up around where the flap closes over, they almost look like they could be used to hold pistol magazines.

My medium bag will hold my B&J if I remove the pull cord from the opening and carry it with no frame. Like you said, that leaves no room for anything else in the bag, though.

I think you've got the medium sized job.

Anyway, its all rather moot considering you've found something better. I really should too. heh.

Tom, I use a Lowenpro Treker for my Deardorff and can carry it, 3-4 holders, loup, darkcloth and a lens with some room to play with. I took all the dividers out so it is wide open. I carried a Kodak 2D prior to the Deardorff. I just recently got a case to carry it all in and was getting ready to sell it on ebay. If you are interested drop me a line and I will email you some pictures.

gfen,

The large sounds like mine, it came with frame attached. I just did a quick-fit and decided it was a no-go. Never really looked at it again. As I remember, it does have a few extra pockets... Maybe it just wouldn't fit what I wanted to carry? But now I'm looking for something smaller and better for the back than the Osprey since I'm putting together a kit with an 8x10 Century Universal. One third the weight of the B&J and almost half the size. Time to dig out the Alice and see what I can do with it!!

But if you find something better, let us know, cause I'm not looking to spend $300 on a backpack!